News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Winter City

Better than nothing and perhaps a good middle ground, although 50k seems very high for year 1.

Still love this quote though. I can tell you for a fact that it was nowhere near that.

'The cost of procuring, installing and decorating a cut tree was estimated at $124,000 in 2022.'

UIAA World Ice Climbing Championships at the ICE Fan Park, February 16-19, 2024

Reference ID:Job No 491740558-002
Description:To Operate a Special Event (Alpine Club - Ice Wall) (NDPR)
Plan 1425251 Blk 9E Lot 7
Applicant:EDMONTON OILERS HOCKEY CORP (EDMONTON OILERS)
Create Date:2023-11-21T15:21:14Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

UIAA World Ice Climbing Championships at the ICE Fan Park, February 16-19, 2024

Reference ID:Job No 491740558-002
Description:To Operate a Special Event (Alpine Club - Ice Wall) (NDPR)
Plan 1425251 Blk 9E Lot 7
Applicant:EDMONTON OILERS HOCKEY CORP (EDMONTON OILERS)
Create Date:2023-11-21T15:21:14Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN
The team working on this is trying to get the regular wall up and operational but it would certainly help if Winter would actually show up!

1702590873738.png

This drives me nuts how the U of A can organize its snow clearing to hours in terms of clearing windrows and yet 112 th and 109th St south of 87th Ave still have windrows about 9 days after they were made.

A bit of a gripe after this last snowfall. This morning at 805 a city plow goes through the smush at 87 Ave instead of plowing it it just puts more sand down. And across from Remax field at 810 I counted 8 plows parked likely waiting for rush hour to finish to start plowing. Seems wasteful to start work at 7 or 730 and not actually start working until much later. Couldn’t they plow the opposite roads of traffic coming in to at least use that time? In that hour x 8 plows they could plow likely 40 to 80 km of road.

Sip your way across the city on Edmonton’s new winter patios​

January 24, 2024

Not even quirky winters can keep Edmontonians from meeting up with friends on a patio, and this year there are even more opportunities thanks to the City of Edmonton’s Winter Patio Grant.

The City invested a little over $50,000 in the Winter Patio Grant, which provided up to $2,000 per business to spend on eligible winter patio expenses, such as patio furniture, heaters, blankets and lighting. It supports Edmonton’s winter economy by helping businesses create inviting, comfortable and vibrant outdoor private and public spaces during the winter season. For the 2023-24 winter season, the City has awarded grants to 27 businesses.

“Thanks to the Winter Patio Grant, our brewery’s patio can be transformed into a warm and welcoming winter destination,” said Rhys Oswald, owner of Omen Brewing in the Hazeldean neighbourhood. “We're grateful for the opportunity to provide an extended and enjoyable experience for our customers, fostering community engagement even in winter.”

The initiative is part of the WinterCity Strategy and Vibrant Streets Program. The WinterCity strategy encourages Edmontonians to get out and celebrate our winter identity through the arts, recreation, events, storytelling and inspired design. The Vibrant Streets Program provides opportunities to increase the vibrancy and livability of city streets, sidewalks and alleyways from downtown and beyond.

“A few years ago there were only a handful of businesses that offered a winter patio experience, and now we’re seeing over 30 locations across the city choosing to embrace that opportunity,” said Isla Tanaka, the City’s WinterCity Planner. “The winter season is easier for everyone when we are intentional about enjoying what it has to offer. This is also a great way to support Edmonton’s small businesses.”

To find a list of businesses sporting winter patios, including those where you can take your four-legged friends, see wintercityedmonton.ca/be-social/yeg-winter-patios.​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/WinterPatioGrant
Wintercityedmonton.ca

Media contact:
Courtney Bettin
Communications Advisor
Urban Planning and Economy
780-288-5922​

I have very mixed feelings about this. There is some cost and work involved in setting up and tearing these patios down in the spring and fall, But I really haven't seen anyone out on the ones that are remaining now this winter.

I usually dress appropriately, comfortably and so don't mind walking outside, even when it is fairly cold. But sitting around outside - sorry I can't muster all the enthusiasm trying to be manufactured for that.

A few posts do it well/right and it's less about winter days and more about shoulder season 'winter' days.

We used to often sit on the patio at Cask or RMIC when it was -5 to +5 and it was very comfortable.

A few posts do it well/right and it's less about winter days and more about shoulder season 'winter' days.

We used to often sit on the patio at Cask or RMIC when it was -5 to +5 and it was very comfortable.
I think there’s also a decent spectrum of winter patios. I believe domes at places like tiramasu bistro and muttart cafe are winter patios. Which are quite different from picnic tables at odd company. Then you have places like cafe bicyclete with events, fires, music, etc that makes it more than just a patio to sit and eat at, but a total experience.

Maybe the issue I have with the communication is referring to winter, where the real intention may be to be expanding the use on warmer days in early spring and late fall.

Also, we do have a variable climate, so we do not have six months of cold weather. We have six months during which we can have cold weather.

For example, recently it was below -25, now the temperature is above 0, and both temperatures are in January which is one of our colder months. This is not unusual or uncommon.

It might seem like nitpicking, but when it is not properly explained it leads to the enduring stereotypes some people elsewhere have of it being -40 here for months and months on end, which is not at all true.

Back