News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Winter City

Is that still true? Even now we're into November and there's no snow accumulation. Climate change will be interesting for Edmonton.
Exactly! I had great delight a few days ago talking on the phone to someone from southern Alberta (near Calgary) and telling them that very light snow we got in late October was pretty much gone.

Some people's perceptions and views are still so stuck in the past, but the times and the climate are a changing.

Loving this longer fall. Had the fat bike out last week but back to MTB this week. Seeing lots of online images from South Ab and other parts of Canada with more snow. Some of the Fat Bike photos from Brag Creek look like Mid-winter here.

Wildfires have made the Edmonton summer unbearable for me as someone with asthma and several other lung related issues. Weeks out of the summer where I can't go outside without getting a migraine are a regular occurrence now. I'd rather a super-snowy winter than a summer I can't leave the house, even if it's really hot and muggy. I know Eastern Canada gets wildfires and smoke days too but not to the same extreme extent.

Grant offers a warm welcome to winter patios​

November 17, 2023

As a proud Winter City, the City of Edmonton is re-launching a grant to add vibrancy to communities and support restaurants, bars and cafes during the colder months of the year.

The Winter Patio Grant provides up to $2,000 per business to help with eligible winter patio expenses, such as patio furniture, heaters, blankets and lighting.

“As the northernmost city in North America with over a million people, winter is a part of Edmonton’s identity,” said Holly Saulou, Emerging Economy Manager for WinterCity Edmonton. “The City of Edmonton's Winter Patio Grant will help businesses to create vibrant outdoor spaces for Edmontonians to gather and socialize during the winter months while supporting our local economy.”

The City of Edmonton has allocated up to $40,000 through the WinterCity Strategy andVibrant Streets Program. The strategy has four pillars: Winter Economy, Winter Design, Winter Life and Our Winter Story. The Vibrant Streets Program provides opportunities to increase vibrancy and livability of city streets, sidewalks and alleyways from downtown and beyond.

The Winter Patio Grant supports Edmonton’s winter economy by helping locals create inviting, comfortable and vibrant outdoor patios during the winter season. Patios can be located on public property or on a business’s property.

Applications for the Winter Patio Grant are accepted until December 8, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Once the application period closes, applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis. All applicants will be notified by December 22, 2023.

Visit edmonton.ca/business for information on business licences and patio permits, andedmonton.ca/WinterPatioGrant to apply for the Winter Patio Grant.​
S.gif

For more information:
edmonton.ca/patios
Wintercityedmonton.ca

They've been throwing down snow at the Edmonton Ski Club for the past couple of days.
The ICE District skating rink is almost ready to open. They are likely waiting for more sub-zero temps before they take away the fencing around it.

Well at least someone has snow. But on the bright side have not had to put my summer bikes on the wrack yet. The MTB trails are great right now.

The first snow since October came Wednesday night, but then immediately melted. Can Winter arrive already! I know it's an El Nino year, but much of this is also a result of climate change. There SHOULD be snow on the ground already, and above-zero temperatures should be the exception, not the norm in mid to late November.

Having lived here a long time, I would say one certainty is our climate is more variable than people realize.

Some people cling to stereotypes, but it is also definitely getting warmer than it used to be and this is particularly noticeable in some El Nino years.

Laurier Park rink is new this year. The lack of snow is really affecting the fat bike riding. But MTB was good up until this week.

Back