News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Winter City

Develop it into a family friendly winter adventure centre with nordic, tubing, fire pits, sledding, food/bev, events, music and downhill.
Develop it into a family friendly winter adventure centre with nordic, tubing, fire pits, sledding, food/bev, events, music and downhill.
How about an expansion to the Muttart if we are grasping for straws.

The Edmonton Ski Club asked city councillors Tuesday for about $3.5 million to go towards a new lodge.
70c8fc80

The club is also asking for an additional $800,000 for demolition and a temporary space.

A city committee heard from speakers Tuesday afternoon and voted in favour of moving forward on the project, but no decisions on funding will be made until November or December.

“We can’t decide that today,” explained Coun. Sarah Hamilton. “The most we can make of a decision is that it comes to budget and we get to debate this at budget.”

This budget is going to be EXTREMELY painful and quite a show to watch; I am not seeing this cross the threshold for funding*

*it does check a lot of boxes though.

This budget is going to be EXTREMELY painful and quite a show to watch; I am not seeing this cross the threshold for funding*

*it does check a lot of boxes though.
Only if you think taxes have to be kept near 0. I think council has to put through a big tax increase this year, with inflation where it is there is simply no other way and too many city services are being run to the ground.

I thought with the Feds investing the $6.6 million for the River Valley OUtdoor Activity Centre that the ski club would be a part of that going forward? Surely that would be enough funding to keep them afloat regardless of any addition City of Edmonton funding?

:(

While I can appreciate the intent to drive more folks to RHW, these could have complimented Churchill components, expanded the event, provided more reasons to come Downtown and enjoy the kickoff to the season, I find this exceptionally disappointing and rather upsetting.

Having been intimately involved in the organizing of this event for more than a few years, the donors, volunteers and participants were very passionate about this particular annual tradition and absorbed a lot of the costs because of the joy it brought to them, their organizations and the city as a whole.

I'm happy to see more attention being directed towards RHW and its businesses, but the loss of this is significant and disappointing.

*Sigh*

Back