News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

West Edmonton Mall

West Edmonton Mall definitely needs to improve itself. After seeing SM Mall of Asia in Manila and SM Seaside in Cebu city, parts of WEM look pretty tired. Also the total integration of parking as well as integration of public transportation makes SM much more nicer. You can get off of public transit and enter the malls right away, not walk through a dark and dirty parkade to get to the mall.

Don't get me wrong I still like WEM, but Triple 5 could learn some lessons.

Oh apparently Mall of Asia is expanding some more and will be adding a replica Spanish Galeon to its attractions. Wonder where they got that idea.

West Edmonton Mall definitely needs to improve itself. After seeing SM Mall of Asia in Manila and SM Seaside in Cebu city, parts of WEM look pretty tired. Also the total integration of parking as well as integration of public transportation makes SM much more nicer. You can get off of public transit and enter the malls right away, not walk through a dark and dirty parkade to get to the mall.

Oh apparently Mall of Asia is expanding some more and will be adding a replica Spanish Galeon to its attractions. Wonder where they got that idea.
Absolutely! It’s mind blogging that being the biggest mall in the country it doesn’t have any landscaped entrance

They don't even have to go to Asia (though they should). The experience of taking transit to malls in Vancouver alone is entirely different, taking the train to Metrotown is worlds different, even driving to Metrotown feels better than driving to West Ed, it's so jank feeling outside.

I feel like once VL West opens, we'll start hearing about major WEM renovations, probably with some TOD style towers and such. I think the main thing holding WEM back from really reworking itself is its sheer size. You kind of have to renovate in stages, or do different sections of the mall as completely separate renos. It would take many years to make a real transformative renovation.

WEM was a very cheap built to begin with and it has only gone down hill since then. They do the bare minimum to maintain the building. What amazes me is they are able to attract so many high end retailers in such a second grade shopping mall. The bottom line is the only thing that matters I guess.

WEM was a very cheap built to begin with and it has only gone down hill since then. They do the bare minimum to maintain the building. What amazes me is they are able to attract so many high end retailers in such a second grade shopping mall. The bottom line is the only thing that matters I guess.

At least they no longer have brass and 80's pastels decor. I could have sworn that lasted until the 2000s or so!

IMG_2722.jpeg

I feel like once VL West opens, we'll start hearing about major WEM renovations, probably with some TOD style towers and such. I think the main thing holding WEM back from really reworking itself is its sheer size. You kind of have to renovate in stages, or do different sections of the mall as completely separate renos. It would take many years to make a real transformative renovation.
I get your point but the only thing holding Triple 5 back is Triple 5. Again Mall of Asia is expanding as we speak as well as SM Cebu Seaside and SM Cebu city mall are both expanding as we speak too.

It seems like Deville is planning on opening a location at WEM
Very surprising given how urban/corporate most of their brand is. I had really hoped for an ice district plaza or COE tower type store.

Their Vancouver/Calgary locations are gorgeous. The Macewan one is a pretty massive strip down

Very surprising given how urban/corporate most of their brand is. I had really hoped for an ice district plaza or COE tower type store.

Their Vancouver/Calgary locations are gorgeous. The Macewan one is a pretty massive strip down
absolutely! it's wild that basically WEM has all the retail DT would have in any other city.

Back