News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

West Edmonton Mall

Man I wish WEM would get some sort of mixed use development going. Some of their parking areas (particularly the east part of the site) would be prime for some residential.
It is beyond me that they're not trying to be a little ahead of the curve here - now would be the perfect time to work on a couple rental towers to slot in between the LRT and the mall itself, creating the perfect captive market for themselves, and all the while improve the quality of the concourse between the mall and the station. It's easy to imagine many would be interested in living in an apartment directly connected to the mall, and they've no shortage of land.

They get literally tens of thousands of visitors per day. Having 200 apartment units or even 2000 units won't really help WEM in terms of number of shoppers. Even if everyone living there shops at WEM every day, which is completely unrealistic, it just lacks the magnitude needed to justify giving up that much parking. Hopefully WEM can expand in the future and start seeing more shoppers arrive by transit but it is not happening yet.

Now open!

20230305_140020.jpg

What dis?

20230305_135547.jpg

20230305_135616.jpg

WEM is losing both a Bed Bath & Beyond in Phase III and a BuyBuy BABY in Phase I. Will be interesting to see what will replace them.

MUJI store would be nice

Back