News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

West Edmonton Mall

Commercial FinalTo remove the Mindbender Roller Coaster in Galaxyland and construct Interior Alterations within an existing amusement / recreational floor space.Indoor Recreational Buildings (560)(03) Interior Alterations$25,000

20230422_153751.jpg

Commercial FinalTo remove the Mindbender Roller Coaster in Galaxyland and construct Interior Alterations within an existing amusement / recreational floor space.Indoor Recreational Buildings (560)(03) Interior Alterations$25,000

Such a shame to be losing the MIndbender. It was one of our favourites, along with the Drop of Doom.

rooms + spaces is opening at WEM in either the former Bed Bath & Beyond or buybuy BABY locations

I expect the new store will take over the old Bed Bath & Beyond premises in Phase III.

I remember Sarah Jessica Parker at the grand opening of SJP a few years ago when it was next to the BRBN St entrance.

Babies R Us is moving into one of the former BBBY locations in WEM.

Retail Insider
With that, both locations in the mall should be occupied before the end of the year.
As much as I have mixed feelings about the mall itself (and how it impacted, and still impacts, DT over time), one has to hand it to them: this mall's ability to attract and retain businesses is off the charts.

With that, both locations in the mall should be occupied before the end of the year.
As much as I have mixed feelings about the mall itself (and how it impacted, and still impacts, DT over time), one has to hand it to them: this mall's ability to attract and retain businesses is off the charts.
I don't think it's fair to point a finger at WEM for any negative effects on downtown. Downtown has its own issues which are predominantly unrelated to any competitive effect from WEM, such as homelessness/drug use/aggressive panhandling, parking rules and enforcement, the ongoing lack of rapid transit access from key areas of the city, a public perception of lack of safety on the LRT routes that DO run to and from downtown, and an unwillingness or inability by landlords to adjust rents in order to attract and retain unique businesses.

You could blame WEM if key tenants were leaving downtown and relocating to WEM or consolidating in their existing locations there. They aren't. Holt Renfrew didn't move to WEM, it left Edmonton entirely. Hudson's Bay exited ECC and consolidated its central Edmonton operations at Kingsway. Sport Chek announced that it was leaving ECC not because of the competitive effects from its store in WEM but rather because it considers downtown an unsafe and unattractive environment which is deterring customers.

Back