News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

U of A real estate

What a fiasco. I feel for anyone in the midst of their program/looking at enrolling into the U of A, per the article they're looking to make up a $96M shortfall over three years from tuition increases alone, as if post secondary education costs haven't had enough skyrocketing cost escalations over the past two decades.

Student debt is already a massive problem, why not throw more gas on the fire for our youth?
That's a big issue, but from what I've heard, coming for a few people on the school of Graduate Studies, they'll be putting the burden mostly on the international students.
Nevertheless, that's what happens when you have a provincial government butchering our education funding, because the idiotic Premier believes it's overrated and, on top of that, has a personal goal of screwing everything Edmonton.
All post secondary institutions got gutted, but the U of A received more than half of the total amount of cuts, while accounting for roughly 20% of the budget.
Ooh, the 2023 election can't come soon enough 🤬🤬

Can some one help me understand some of the dynamics here? As much as I'm concerned about the cuts, are there not times in businesses to look for efficiencies. The uofa has a lot of waste and bureaucracy. Profs make exorbitant salaries in the 200-400k ranges.

Assuming there was a need for cuts, how would you go about them?

We dont have the oil money we used to. Is this not tied to that?

Can some one help me understand some of the dynamics here? As much as I'm concerned about the cuts, are there not times in businesses to look for efficiencies. The uofa has a lot of waste and bureaucracy. Profs make exorbitant salaries in the 200-400k ranges.

Most tenured professors make less than $200k, tenure track ones make about $120k~150k and lecturers make between $60k and $90k. There are a few older, longer serving professors that make upwards of $200k and those in the $300k or up range usually make it out of research grants, dividends from patents, etc...
I also don't think it's exorbitant for a person that spent, on average, 10~12 years studying, out of the job market, or juggling a part time job with full time study/research, specializing themselves in a field, that train and prepare our professionals and develop technology to make six figures.
Teachers, doctors, nurses, these people should be the LAST to have their salaries cut.
If we want to talk about efficiency and return on investment, what about we stop the tax breaks for big oil companies, give them a taste of actual free market and save billions in taxpayer money, instead of cutting off in healthcare and education?

I am sure U of C has "waste" as you put it, so why has the U of A been cut the most?

This is not about waste. That's the "spin". It is an attempt to end the flagship status of the U of A.

UCP and their causcas which includes mouth gagged MLA's from Edmonton Metropolitan.= "It is an attempt to end the flagship status of the U of A. Probably due to hatred of the Edmonton region, dislike of progressive aspects of the U of A, etc.". When is the last time you heard a UCP MLA stand up for Edmonton?

Might also have something to do with Kenney being a college drop-out with no degree to his name as he sings "my lack of education didn't hurt me none" (Simon and Garfunkle). "Why waste money on University?" he ponders. Trump-lite!

Love what they created here with SUB
image.jpeg

Exciting news for the UofA and a solid choice as leader of this initiative.

---
Greg Dewling, MBA, ICD.D
• 1st
President and CEO

Congratulate Greg for starting a new position as President and CEO at University of Alberta Properties Trust
---

Expect to see a lot of movement on their lands over the next 10 years+

Brilliant!!! Wow!!! We are extremely lucky to have individuals like Ken and his team here in our city.

Back