News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

U of A real estate

Another architectural gem about to be lost.

I had the pleasure of exploring it back in 2017/18 at a UofA event; it was incredibly unique with passages, a disco and dripping of stories/tales/folklore.

Another architectural gem about to be lost.

I had the pleasure of exploring it back in 2017/18 at a UofA event; it was incredibly unique with passages, a disco and dripping of stories/tales/folklore.

How many McMansions will fit on the land and how many trees will be gone? These are the opportunities that the city needs to take to reclaim river valley land and turn it into public space.

There was a failed subdivision and high-end home development next door.

There was a failed subdivision and high-end home development next door.
I assume you're referring to the Dr. Modry development? What a bizarre idea that was.
it wasn't a "failed subdivision" although it was a project that didn't proceed even after the rezoning was approved by council.

i think what was approved was 40-50 luxury condo units in half a dozen 4 story buildings spread around the site if my memory is correct.

I believe you remember correctly. My understanding was that financing was an issue. They did end up putting the site up for sale a few years back - no idea if it ever sold.

I recall the units being absurdly expensive. Somewhere around $2 mil for the cheapest (though I suppose I was not their target demo).

it wasn't a "failed subdivision" although it was a project that didn't proceed even after the rezoning was approved by council.

i think what was approved was 40-50 luxury condo units in half a dozen 4 story buildings spread around the site if my memory is correct.

So it was a failed subdivision.

So it was a failed subdivision.
okay... in the same sense that encore and the edge and icon and omega are successful "subdivisions" and brad lamb's jasper house and the mezzo are examples of unsuccessful "subdivisions". modry's project was always intended only to sell condominium units, not lots.

What a fiasco. I feel for anyone in the midst of their program/looking at enrolling into the U of A, per the article they're looking to make up a $96M shortfall over three years from tuition increases alone, as if post secondary education costs haven't had enough skyrocketing cost escalations over the past two decades.

Student debt is already a massive problem, why not throw more gas on the fire for our youth?

Back