2.6K     0 

Toll Roads / Mileage Tax

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Edmonton Chamber of Commerce says toll roads burden Edmonton businesses
City councillors were given a clear message from the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday: toll roads are not good for business.

The combination of fees and taxes are already pushing some Edmonton businesses to the tipping point, said Joseph Yurkovich, a member of the Finance and Taxation Committee of the Chamber.

Businesses end up moving outside the city's boundaries when they're faced with too many taxes, he added.

"The chamber's position is somewhat opposed to the idea of an over-reliance on user fees," Yurkovich told councillors.

Full Story (CBC Edmonton)

This is slightly off topic, but not sure where else to post.
Has anyone heard of a tax on vehicle kms? I know the fuel taxes sort of accomplish this, but as we move towards more electric vehicles and as we seek to transition more people to sustainable transport, do you think this would be valuable?

I know challenges like affordable housing would be closely tied to this, but it seems helpful as an incentive to live and work closer together, rather than long, unsustainable commutes that require more roads, maintenance, increase emissions, etc. I would imagine this would help transit adoption, especially for routine trips like work/school. Vehicles would probably have to come with a device for it? Or it be linked to the odometers?

Back