News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

The Quarters

These are the exact type of buildings in Winnipeg's exchange district, Vancouver's Gastown, Calgary's Inglewood or on Toronto's Queen Street that house cocktail bars and hole in the wall restaurants...so we should absolutely demolish this one like all the others like it we demolish.
Gee, we must really want a downtown without character. Whether intentionally or unintentionally we sure seem to trying to achieve that.

*crickets*

Does anyone know of anything market housing-wise or infill on the radar here that is anything close to moving forward?
Tough to even look at the quarters I’d imagine when there’s 20+ lots in the core with better safety, nearby activity, and momentum behind them. I wouldn’t be surprised if less than 2 large projects happen here in the next decade.

There are large tent cities on either side of the new park (just out of view in the photos), the vibes have gotten worse in this area in my experience unfortunately, increased disorder. The Jasper Ave stretch there is still dismal, yet with a few of the last remaining heritage gems - plus the recent developments such as Brighton, Pendeniss, Hyatt, the Hat... but alas, for how many years now, dismal.
IMG_20230522_140704435.jpg
IMG_20230522_140651307.jpg

I know the last couple of years had been unexpectedly devastating in all regards, but what's it going to take to move forward?
We just desperately need a few positive developments to happen, valley line running and some lots filled, and not lose a few of the venues that opened over the past couple of years such as CoLab or Ociciwan Gallery or anything else good.

I think for this area it would be good to look at all "opposing sides" -- for law enforcement foot patrol is good but too s-l-o-w -- give pairs of constables a bit more of an expediency lift by either going "old school" and giving them horses to patrol with or more modern conveyances -- e.g. Segway PCMs; on the homeless front start with monitored collective housing -- the old remand building is perfect for this (it has a base element for needed public services -- classrooms, healthcare, and administration -- and housing in the tower that isn't much in terms of spatial decor but is much better than a plastic tent or a cardboard box and it is out of the elements; on the drug addiction side provide something akin to palliative care with an education bent to it -- "you are either going to die or you are going to pull out of it"... a common form of gym space separated by sex (two completely different buildings) -- a slightly militaristic approach whereby rewards come after individual effort. These are common-sense starting points that put experts face-to-face with problems. The cost is countered by the ability of society to flourish where it is otherwise doomed to wither.

I would'nt be surprised if 96 street needs another rehab before we see any meaningful development on that street

I was making reference (very subtly i'll admit) to the fact that 96th street in that neighborhood is Church Street.

I think the only way this area can claw its way back is a few key lots need to be develop or redeveloped. If only the two buildings and empty lot directly east of the ww arcade building on Jasper Ave, and the big parking lot west of the Gibson block could be developed visually would drastically improve the look and outlook for the Quarters.

Gibson block should be market rate apartments, not what it's currently being used for. Build a new shelter nearby, add to the housing stock. Such a nice building with retail opportunities that's being squandered.

Back