What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
272340FC-EDB5-4E36-B426-72CA2309948A.jpeg

Screenshot_20230903-160013_Samsung Internet.jpg

If this phase of The Parks could keep the same height as it's at right now at the current stage of construction but could extend north to the edge of 102 Ave like the brick midrise to the west of it, would anybody take that option?

Luckily most of them will be a park in 2 years. There perimeter will still have some empty lots, but I don't expect that to last very long.
the warehouse district park will take up some of the empty lots, but if you go through the neighborhood as a whole its like 70% empty lots or old vacant buildings. Edmonton definitely does not have the demand to fill that part of the city with towers on that many lots.

The area between the downtown core (east of 104 St) and Oliver (west of 112 St) historically was railway lands with small warehouses, some small old industrial buildings and not much residential.

It has been filling in gradually over the years and is continuing to do so. There is some demand for this area and will continue to be, but there are other desirable areas in proximity that have demand too.

Its not just a question of demand but desirability of these various areas.

Luckily most of them will be a park in 2 years. The perimeter will still have some empty lots, but I don't expect that to last very long.
Luckily for that eye-parameter zone it is getting a park. However, if I met you in person I can describe to you all the massive collectively lots spread through out downtown and the central core that could use some helping hands.

I believe this area is probably the biggest collection of parking lots remaining in the core, other than in the Quarters which has more serious challenges. Most others are smaller lots or just one or two lots together.

Yes, but we still have full blocks here and there, Katz's 1.5 north of Rogers then directly across the street from that is another empty block. If we include the quarters, it is still very alarming. Add insuls to injuries, there are still plentiful lots like BMO splatter throughout the core.

Yes, but we still have full blocks here and there, Katz's 1.5 north of Rogers then directly across the street from that is another empty block. If we include the quarters, it is still very alarming. Add insuls to injuries, there are still plentiful lots like BMO splatter throughout the core.
There's also the area between 99 and 100 Avenues, between 105 st and 106 st, as well as 100ave to Jasper, between 106 and 107 St that are a sea of parking lots.

Sadly there are a lot of pockets and areas across downtown and the surrounding periphery that are empty lots begging for development.

At the very least, it's exciting to know this area is going to completely transform for the better shortly. I really do hope and expect some other projects be built in the periphery of the park after it and this project are completed. As well, Ice District 2.0 is real and in due time (whenever that is) we'll see the lots north of Rogers get wiped out.

I believe that all the vast pockets and areas containing empty lots contribute to the disjointed look and feel of downtown and unfortunately, we cannot just rely on local developers to purchase, design and build on them all. It would be nice to see some more out of town developers take a chance to help transform this city's downtown.

Back