News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

The Mercury Block II | Hodgson Schilf Evans

I've been helping 2 people that I know look for places recently. Rental availability in West Oliver, Central DT, and Garneau is abysmal right now. I expect MB1 to lease up quickly, obviously MB2 as well.

I'm guessing these will be priced lower than the McLaren, more similarly to The Oliver (Safeway apartment). I just hope this is built ahead of schedule to meet my believed demand.

taking a good look at Mercury 1 yesterday over a pint at Brown's, I feel it's missed the mark; the interesting SW corner passage way into the inner courtyard is a missing element and the balcony railings, being black, blend into and disappear in the black walls. The whole thing could have been visually lifted if the balcony rail were a high-gloss red enamel.

taking a good look at Mercury 1 yesterday over a pint at Brown's, I feel it's missed the mark; the interesting SW corner passage way into the inner courtyard is a missing element and the balcony railings, being black, blend into and disappear in the black walls. The whole thing could have been visually lifted if the balcony rail were a high-gloss red enamel.
If I were the developer of this I would want my eye to be drawn to the main floor retail bays, not the balconies. I think that's what this project does, especially when the tenant signage goes up. This type of main floor retail is incredibly valuable space and you want to design a building in a way that maximizes this.

BP:

2023-12-15
Commercial Final
To construct Hoarding (site fencing ONLY) for the proposed demolition of the 2 existing residential apartment buildings (Andrew Manor and Trinity Place). - Mercury Block 2 Start Date: December 15, 2023 End Date: January 14, 2024
10146 - 123 STREET NW

……Go
IMG_2622.jpeg

I gotta say, seeing tired and crappy low rise buildings like this get demolished and replaced makes me really happy. We have got far too many of them in the inner city and helps give off a "rundown" and "tired" impression when walking or driving around. This area is rapidly changing for the better.

I gotta say, seeing tired and crappy low rise buildings like this get demolished and replaced makes me really happy. We have got far too many of them in the inner city and helps give off a "rundown" and "tired" impression when walking or driving around. This area is rapidly changing for the better.
Mixed feelings.

Replacing these with what we are doing is also going to make the inner city increasingly unaffordable? And push more and more towards the edges of the city.

I love the positive impact these newer builds have on the area, but honestly, I'd rather see all of the houses and parking lots disappear before the walk-ups.

Mixed feelings.

Replacing these with what we are doing is also going to make the inner city increasingly unaffordable? And push more and more towards the edges of the city.

I love the positive impact these newer builds have on the area, but honestly, I'd rather see all of the houses and parking lots disappear before the walk-ups.
We’re still 15-20+ years away from the low rises all being “gentrified” and many of these buildings are at the end of their lives too. You can still get dozens of rentals for under $1000 in one of our most liveable neighborhoods, so I’m not too worried yet. While filling all empty lots first would be great, I’m happy to see the momentum that’s driving these projects. And still a huge increase in available units which will likely push up incentive quality and push down rents for places that used to be “top tier” and are now B+ quality.

Mixed feelings.

Yeah my feelings are aligned with @thommyjo where I believe we are really far away from having to worry about any sort of affordability crisis in the inner city.

There are still a huge amount of very cheap and affordable units for low income residents and students and I think that getting rid of poorly maintained low rise buildings at the end of their life cycle will allow for a modernization of an area that really needs it. It's resulted in Oliver seeing some impressive momentum and quickly becoming Edmonton's new "cool" neighbourhood.

Back