News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Terwillegar Drive Expansion

We will be revisiting this mess in <5yrs and then have to spend the dough for an actual freeway; how we are not connecting a very busy Whitemud to the AHD and fastest growing part of Edmonton is beyond me.
Just like with SW Henday….why do it now when you can it later at double the cost?

We will be revisiting this mess in <5yrs and then have to spend the dough for an actual freeway; how we are not connecting a very busy Whitemud to the AHD and fastest growing part of Edmonton is beyond me.
I’ve been confused with this given they are already working on it and it’s set up to be converted to freeway easily.

... ORRRRR.... make transit efficient, effective, direct and a more viable option for more folks.

Don't unnecessarily create congestion, but rather provide better alternatives.

If you want to make transit more efficient, effective, and reliable (i.e., a more viable option), you're going to have to give up some space for transit-priority/transit-only infrastructure such as bus-only lanes, BRT, LRT, etc. As long as we insist on putting busses in the same lanes as cars, it will never be more than a second-class transportation method, and will continue to be stigmatized as being only for "poor people."

Congestion is a fact of a growing and sprawling city, and its coming whether we take the lanes now, later, or not at all; the difference is it becomes an even harder pill to swallow the longer we put it off when congestion is worse than it is now.

Also, not sure why you're raising this as a concern in this thread; even after this current widening, there's still plenty of space to work with on Terwilligar to provide transit-priority infrastructure.

If they try to do anything again on this corridor that’s not transit, I’ll be pissed. We’re talking billions poured into area. Only supporting more sprawl. Let the traffic get bad so people stop wanting to live down there.
Agreed. Why should a city that's supposedly focused on increasing density and transit use continue to induce demand on Terwillegar Dr and make it more appealing to live nearly 20 km from the city centre? I think that they get the expressway, and that's it. It's so incredibly frustrating to see 50+ year-old areas like Capilano or Calder get absolute zilch in better transit infrastructure but areas that are around half that age get road widening and upgrades constantly. (Rabbit Hill Road, Terw Dr, AHD SW, likely Ellerslie soon)

... ORRRRR.... make transit efficient, effective, direct and a more viable option for more folks.

Don't unnecessarily create congestion, but rather provide better alternatives.
Sticks and carrots. You need both.

And allowing the natural outworking of peoples choices to be the “stick” is about as soft as it gets.

Tolls, congestion pricing, etc are real sticks

I think the separate bus lane will be a benefit. The bus from South Campus will only have lights at Fort Edmonton Park/Campbell Road and 53 Avenue before reaching Terwillegar Drive.

Last edited:
I think the separate bus lane will be a benefit. The bus from South Campus will only have lights at Fort Edmonton Park/Campbell Road and 53 Avenue before reaching Terwillegar Drive.
Should help with service speed, schedule consistency, and even capacity if buses aren't getting stuck in traffic

The new MUP sections from the power lines trail along the east wide of Terwillegar Dr to Bulyea (eventually towards the new Whitemud bridge) seem to be open now.

Back