7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Rossdale

1655443066061.png

When was that proposed?
I've been there. He and it was the Alberta Tiger King before there was Tiger King. I even have my own photo with a Siberian Tiger somewhere in a box now in a storage unit in Fort Saskatchewan and it was f*cking terrifying despite it being trained and raised as a huge housecat... This was at the Husky Plaza Mall in Vegreville around 1989 or so... And the visit to the zoo? Before that! They wanted me to throw meat at one of the tigers through a fence but I had a panic attack and started crying so then we left and went to Harvey's for the first time. Good times!

I'm not saying in an alternative future where METS was built that I love this idea/plan/site but I do... And frankly it should still be kept as a future event reserve site along with the baseball diamond, power plant site, etc. In fact I think Alberta should build and install their first SMR's at Rossdale to show just how safe and reliable nuclear power CAN be... To me having this as a symbol in the very heart of the city would do more to turn around the nuclear industry than trying to spend billions on advertising and astroturfing like they already are. Like I said in the other thread knowing how safe and reliable nuclear power can be is very reassuring when you don't even realize how seamless the tech can be even in its older more crude forms like Slowpoke...

Where did you find these images and this project?
My only concern/beef? Keep the old Edmonton Yukon ROW open through the site to allow streetcar/trolley traffic to be reinstalled. It only needs a very small strip and this would be a neat defining feature in the phasing of the construction... or ideally a great transit plaza/station site...

Attachments

• Rossdale12.PNG
    Rossdale12.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • Rossdale11.PNG
    Rossdale11.PNG
    647.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Rossdale10.PNG
    Rossdale10.PNG
    976.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Rossdale9.PNG
    Rossdale9.PNG
    731.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Rossdale8.PNG
    Rossdale8.PNG
    369.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Rossdale7.PNG
    Rossdale7.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Rossdale6.PNG
    Rossdale6.PNG
    670.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Rossdale5.PNG
    Rossdale5.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Rossdale4.PNG
    Rossdale4.PNG
    680.9 KB · Views: 55
Glad to see the concept design is out now, I actually sent them an email asking about that the other day.

Here's the design book, and here's the survey.

View attachment 409067View attachment 409069View attachment 409068
Yes to everything mentioned here. Nailed it! The only thing missing is the community heart. That SHOULD be an LRT/streetcar plaza on that Edmonton, Yukon Pacific Railway ROW that slices diagonally through that one lot between 104/105 St just south of 97 Ave... That needs to be the first thing developed/designed and the densest site. Mixed use, mixed income mid-rises made from Tall Wood!

Bingo! Good catch there! I filled out the survey and it's quite and extensive one if you feel so inclined since it's basically just a comment form. Which is great! The only feedback I had was basically I love all the boulevard trees and canopies planned because that's what all the best parts of Olde Edmonton are... American and Dutch Elm-lined boulevards where the trees are often worth more than the houses around them.. At least in my area... They're valued at 50K a piece and my house has 6 of them... Matchpoint, nature!

And to maintain and consider reviving all the old streetcar lines/rail corridors that served Rossdale in the past since no matter how you slice it, streetcars will always trump buses when it comes to comfort and efficiency... Smooth vs bumpy. A reliable traffic pattern a city can plan around vs active lava of traffic issues and bad drivers/parking... Like I said after being hit and run by a Karen yesterday that added at least $1K of damage to my car I'm ready to sell it and become car and care-free again... The stress alone from that set back my COVID recovery by weeks.. And I was just over my last dose of steroids...

I completed the new survey. I gave it my approval for the most, though I expressed some concerns with traffic and commuting, especially with losing access to 103 St from Rossdale Road. I also told them about a lack of a 2-way bike path along 97 Ave which they need to include.

Back