News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Regional Transit

Having worked for Strathcona County government for several years, I always found it interesting how much of a dislike or distrust their was of Edmonton among several people there including some residents. I'm not saying that complaining or making fun of Edmonton was rampant, but it was not uncommon.
And what was the justification for such distrust, do you know?
Because if we can't get even our closest neighbors onboard with us and sell the city as a friendly, helpful neighbor, we REALLY need to improve our image a reputation if Edmonton is to attract new businesses and people.

I live in Sherwood Park, and I can't understand why we don't co-operate regionally. Strathcona County once had the lion''s share of Metro Edmonton economic development, but now we're seeing growth in Leduc/Leduc County, Parkland County, St. Albert and Sturgeon County.

I live in Sherwood Park, and I can't understand why we don't co-operate regionally. Strathcona County once had the lion''s share of Metro Edmonton economic development, but now we're seeing growth in Leduc/Leduc County, Parkland County, St. Albert and Sturgeon County.
I'd guess that part of Strathcona County losing a bit of its momentum has to do with the lack of willful cooperation with the rest of the region, whereas the places growing are the one that have been working closely with Edmonton.

It's just like having a rich brother that wants to partner you to open a restaurant, but you're too proud to accept the help and end up opening a small, not very attractive one, while your other siblings all have fancy new places and are making more money.

And what was the justification for such distrust, do you know?
Because if we can't get even our closest neighbors onboard with us and sell the city as a friendly, helpful neighbor, we REALLY need to improve our image a reputation if Edmonton is to attract new businesses and people.

I think it's complex and many factors. I think a bigger one in the past was a fear of amalgamation. Certainly Edmonton has been criticized for how it operates on everything from development permits and planning to road maintenance and I think SC and other areas felt they could do things better. Edmonton may not have always been such a good neighbour either, although I do think Iveson tried to work more cooperatively with the region.
I always thought the region should chip in more on big city projects like the downtown arena etc. It took a lot of effort just to get the region to pitch in on the new Edmonton SPCA several years back, which serves everybody in the metro area. Maybe that is happening more now as big projects that serve the region could maybe have a wider financial contribution. But maybe there is resentment in that argument from the surrounding area.

A big cost savings Strathcona County has as a result of being Edmonton's neighbour is in the area of policing, usually one of the biggest budget items. Strathcona County is roughly the same size as Red Deer and yet spent significantly less on their rcmp policing costs because they didn't have to manage nearly the volume of crime a typical municipality of their size would because their crime issues tend to get diverted to the big city. Red Deer's police budget is $40m for 2021 versus SC at $13.5m. Quite a difference.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this was actually posted, but from my alternating between skimming and reading, it doesn't look like the actual planned route map was linked or posted. So, here it is:
Screen-Shot-2020-02-20-at-3.39.31-PM.png

(via https://doniveson.ca/2020/02/20/stronger-together-a-regional-transit-system/)

At first glance, it's overall not bad, though @_Citizen_Dane_ discussed it a bit and both found some issues/oversights (I can't remember who came up with what, which is why I'm referencing him lol).

1) The lack of a Strathcona station is odd -- considering two lines intersect at Whyte and Gatway/Calgary Trail, which can provide a transfer point. As well, Strathcona is a major destination in and of itself for people throughout Metro Edmonton. I mean, if South Common gets a stop, so should Whyte Ave imo.
2) Line 6 (the yellow one from Fort Sask to WEM via 137 Ave) is mostly fine, except the part where it turns up St Albert Trail to Village Tree, despite it both duplicating part of Rapid Line 1's route as well as being an awkward detour. There's already a transfer point at Christy's Corner if you need to get up to St Albert, and doing this zig-zag just adds time to people going between the West End and Northside communities.
3) Why (aside from efficiency for going down 170 St) is the Jasper Place station at what looks to be Mayfield Common instead of at Jasper Place Transit Centre? One of the lines already going to this Mayfield stop will pass by JP TC, which connects to a transit centre with many other routes, as well as being the heart of a community. Or just call it a Mayfield Stop but also if you're going to have two lines go right by JP TC, have a stop there too.
4) Line 3 (the one going from Leduc/The Airport to Downtown and then on to Eaux Claires) shouldn't follow the LRT from Century Park to South Campus. Century Park, despite all the effort funneled to that site, simply isn't a major destination. As much as we loathe it, South Common is a busier destination and connects right on a major N/S arterial (the Gateway/Calgary Trail couplet). It makes more sense to have a direct line here that just continues straight north down it from South Common, perhaps having a stop at the Weber business area and then at Strathcona before hitting Downtown Edmonton. If people really need to get to Century Park they can transfer at South Common. More direct routes are better than zig-zags, and yeah transferring is annoying, but if the buses are run frequently enough, it doesn't have to be all bad.

Thanks. It looks like my criticisms still (mostly) stand, as they weren't really part of the revisions.
One important thing to note is that before they ramp up regional transit operations in mid-2022, they will be conducting public consultations on the proposed routes. So, there will be an opportunity for you to give this feedback, and nothing is final yet!

Also, keep in mind that all municipal transit services (minus paratransit and ETS local routes) will be amalgamated into the EMTSC in the next couple of years. Paratransit services and ETS are expected to be fully amalgamated in 2026, at which-point the commission will be the only transit service in its member communities. So, these maps show the proposed regional routes, but I just want to make the distinction that municipal routes will also be under its purview.

Looks like the LinkedIn and Optimum Talent web pages for the EMTSC's CEO recruitment are down, so they must have picked someone? They had already chosen a candidate a couple of months ago, but the person backed out for a reason I can't remember. It was mentioned briefly at a previous Fort Saskatchewan Council meeting.

Keep an eye out for an announcement regarding their inaugural CEO. The links are still available on this page, but they're dead.

Back