News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Quarry Ridge - Strathcona County Pedestrian Footbridge | ?m | ?s | River Valley Alliance

I believe there were at least 3 more bridges in the long range plan. One at Terwilliger crossing to EL Smith. (New Trails). One near Rabbit Hill and Another on the east side of Devon.

The Valley Zoo Belgravia Idea will never happen. You already have 2 bridges close by. And for stable bank you would have to put it at the Equine centre.

Just pedestrian bridges, or river crossings in general?

Otherwise the Whyte (University) / 87 Ave transit crossing is still on the books. Not sure if it will replace the Hawrelak Footbridge though, like VLSE did with Cloverdale.

All will be pedestrian. That Transit crossing will probably never happen. At least in my lifetime. Plus the opposition for it in the past was quite high. I don't think it would be any different. That bank is quite unstable as well. Can't see the money will be spent to stabilize it. Hell they tried with Keillor road.

All will be pedestrian. That Transit crossing will probably never happen. At least in my lifetime. Plus the opposition for it in the past was quite high. I don't think it would be any different. That bank is quite unstable as well. Can't see the money will be spent to stabilize it. Hell they tried with Keillor road.
After the Valley Line West route was chosen to go down Stony Plain Road - 156 St. to 87 Ave, the potential transit crossing from the U of A to 87 Avenue was inevitably cancelled.

After the Valley Line West route was chosen to go down Stony Plain Road - 156 St. to 87 Ave, the potential transit crossing from the U of A to 87 Avenue was inevitably cancelled.

Well it's popped up again in the Mass Transit Plan, albeit as a long-term BRT crossing (short term is a detour to Quesnell). The Whyte-87 Ave BRT route that would use it replaces Centre LRT.

But getting back on topic, I wonder if work was stymied due to the warm weather and potential for thin ice cover.

Well it's popped up again in the Mass Transit Plan, albeit as a long-term BRT crossing (short term is a detour to Quesnell). The Whyte-87 Ave BRT route that would use it replaces Centre LRT.

But getting back on topic, I wonder if work was stymied due to the warm weather and potential for thin ice cover.
No it appears the work continued, The ice would not be a issue as they have the dams up now. Also that section of the river rarely freezes over.

No it appears the work continued, The ice would not be a issue as they have the dams up now. Also that section of the river rarely freezes over.

Sweet. I wonder what the chances of another accidental beach are (probably close to none)...

I wouldn't expect extremely high water this year, low overall snowfall means less melt in the spring and thus, less water in the rivers. I know we've got a decent amount in the past couple days but the Rockies have not gotten much. Higher temperatures (due to El Nino and global warming), could mean even greater melting of the permanent ice cap though, so tough to say. I would say it's less likely though and I wouldn't expect any major flooding this year. Though I am no meteorologist or climatologist, so take that with a big grain of salt.

IMG_1832.png

Back