News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Past Vs Present

These pictures were all taken by my Great grandfather back in 1920. I do not know where most of these pictures were taken all I know is that they were in Edmonton.
View attachment 205008View attachment 205009View attachment 205010View attachment 205011View attachment 205012View attachment 205014
Wow, what an amazing set of pictures! By my estimates, most of them were probably taken between 1945-55. Here's the locations of each;
  • The first was taken just at the southern end of the Low Level Bridge, looking southeast towards the present site of the Muttart Conservatory; everything in this picture was demolished to make way for the James MacDonald Bridge, and the ill-fated M.E.T.S. Freeway in the late 1960's. The brick building was known as the Sconabend Apartments, and for decades trains coming from Mill Creek ran directly behind it.
  • The second was taken at 11042 124 Street.
  • The third photo is looking east down Jasper Avenue towards 104th Street. The three storey brick building on the corner is the Chisholm Block. In the early 20th Century it served as the first home of the Edmonton Public Library; it was demolished around 1965.
  • The last three are taken from the roof of the C.P.R. Building I mentioned on the other page.
    • Picture four is looking northeast. The classical building partially visible in the bottom/centre left is the original downtown Post Office, site of today's Westin Hotel. The still standing Imperial Bank of Canada building, located at 9990 Jasper Avenue, is barley visible on the far right, which would place this group of pictures around 1954-55.
    • Picture five is looking directly south. The building with the sloped roof in the dead centre is the 1923 Public Library Building, demolished to make way for the A.G.T. — now Telus — Tower; interestingly it was the last Carnegie Library ever built.
    • Picture six is looking northwest. The McLeod Building is on the far right, while the Kelly Block — now part of Enbridge Centre — is on the far centre left. The big white building centre left is the Woodward's Department Store I mentioned on the other page.

Last edited:
I'm going to take a stab at this, I'm due for a history less me thinks :rolleyes:

I think the forth picture (from the top) is looking North\East with the Quarters in the background the main Post Office in the foreground left with its less stylish Northside facing the World Trade Centre building to the right.

2nd last pic looks to be taken from the top of the original main library, with the Mac Hotel to the left (of course).

The last picture looks like it was taken from the Empire building (or close) looking North/East, with the Kelly Ramsey building & the gorgeous Tegler Building behind it. Mcleod building to the right.

A few old/new shots of the Kelly Ramsay Building.
KR old SE 2.JPGKR new SE 1.JPGKR old SW 2.JPGKR new SW 1.JPGKR old SW 3.JPGKR new SW 2.JPG

Back