News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Past Vs Present

Does this count as "old" if its a recreation of the old capitol theater sign? Well i'll post it anyways! Here is the hand painted sign that we built for Fort Edmonton. Its neat to be able to recreate history like this.

DSCF1244.JPG
DSCF1326.JPG
DSCF1232.JPG
DSCF1237.JPG
DSC01355.JPG
DSC01361.JPG
DSC01364.JPG
IMG_5668.JPG

Attachments

• Capitol Theatre original.jpg
    Capitol Theatre original.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Capitol Theatre original.jpg
    Capitol Theatre original.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 154
  • `Original Theatre.jpg
    `Original Theatre.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 147
@KyleBlanchett Fan-friggen-tastic.

Weird random tidbit: My dad (who sadly passed away quite a long time ago) worked as an accountant most of his life, but had a hidden skill and talent in hand-painted signmaking. Blew me away when I learned it.

Here are a couple of spots in Fort Saskatchewan.

River.jpg

This is the hybrid rail-car bridge which was constructed in 1911, had its wooden car deck dismantled in 1957, and was demolished in 1987 after rail traffic was diverted out of Fort Saskatchewan due to safety concerns. Before the construction of this bridge, residents had to cross the river via a ferry, which was owned by the town at one point if I recall correctly, because the residents complained a lot about the high prices being charged by its private owners. It's too bad the bridge wasn't preserved, because as you can see from these pictures, it was quite beautiful. It reminds me of a miniature High Level Bridge. You can learn more about the railway and bridge here.

Train one.jpgTrail three.jpg Train two.jpg

Downtown.jpg

This is the same spot in downtown Fort Saskatchewan as seen in 1915, 2009, and 2018. The building on the far right is our first permanent town hall and fire department. The town hall was on the second floor, and the fire hall was on the first floor. You can learn more about the fire/town hall here. The building directly in the front of the top photo was part of the old provincial gaol, which closed in 1988 and was demolished in phases starting in the 1990s. You can learn about it here. Sadly, the facility workshop, which was the last remaining prison structure aside from the Warden's House, was demolished in 2014 despite a public campaign led by the Historical Society to save it.

Last edited:

Back