News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Past Vs Present

The ship has not sailed, but it is taking on water. Our group is working on a more finite proposal for Alberta Avenue that also includes the Coliseum and adjacent lands north of 118th Ave. The concept idea was fresh about 3-4 years ago. CN and Greyhound both want to be kept in the loop but the process grinds to the tune of "volunteer time" (a song that I wrote after the first rejection)

The ship has not sailed, but it is taking on water. Our group is working on a more finite proposal for Alberta Avenue that also includes the Coliseum and adjacent lands north of 118th Ave. The concept idea was fresh about 3-4 years ago. CN and Greyhound both want to be kept in the loop but the process grinds to the tune of "volunteer time" (a song that I wrote after the first rejection)
I'm sorry to hear that it's not going well, but I appreciate that you and your group are keeping at it. Would this proposal you're currently working on also allow for a new VIA station/transportation hub? If so, please let us know if there's ever a need for more volunteers to assist with this. Even if I can only send emails out, I'd love to do my part to help if it's needed!

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.01.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.11.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.01.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.01.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 9.10.25 AM.png

Historic photos from

That was the Agency Building, at one time purported to be Canada's skinniest 'skyscraper'. It stood at a height of twenty-eight meters and a width of seven. More reading here. Height aside, it dominated the skyline for decades with a brilliant neon sign for Northwestern Utilities that depicted Theia, the goddess of light, silhouetted against a flame, proclaiming "Clean Heat — GAS".
View attachment 296500
Going back to this, I was actually able to find a clip showing this old neon sign (and others) in action! I'm sure it'll be of some interest to @KyleBlanchett. This comes from an old newsreel talking about Alberta's oil field. The footage is from around 1951:
Jasper Avenue Neon 1951.gif

And a shot looking west down Jasper. This one's basically a reverse angle of the first photo @IanO posted above:
Jasper Avenue 1951.gif

seeing that makes me so happy and sad at the same time! 😫 Thanks Dane for sharing

It's incredible to see the streetcar tracks on Jasper Ave, I wonder how far east they went.
To 82nd street, where it continued eastbound down 112th Avenue (although this was discontinued with the introduction of the trolleybusses in 1939 — service down Jasper then only went to 97th Street).

Here's a map of the system in 1938:
ERR_route_map_1938.svg

To 82nd street, where it continued eastbound down 112th Avenue (although this was discontinued with the introduction of the trolleybusses in 1939 — service down Jasper then only went to 97th Street).

Here's a map of the system in 1938:
ERR_route_map_1938.svg

Wow, I'm kind of stunned at how extensive the network was. I'm reminded of how Los Angeles once had an extensive light rail network as well before the freeway system was built out.

Last year when the Jasper New Vision project was underway they were digging up ties along the part of Jasper Ave from 99 to 98.
I also remember seeing a train run down some tracks near 124st. Sharing the road with cars. I have vague recollections of the buildings where the convention centre is now. Before WEM downtown was vibrant. But as malls were built that started to funnel traffic away.

Back