7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Past Vs Present

Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 9.16.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-02 at 9.19.42 PM.png

... sadly, it wasn't just a stupid thing in the past we stopped doing. Look at all the empty lots in this area, more than a few were older houses torn down in the last five years.

Funny thing is I have a book that was printed in 1914 showing Edmonton. They pretty much said the same thing. The city was changing so fast that we were loosing history.

Well I suppose that is because we keep on tearing down our history, which is generally even more noticeable and worse because we don't have a lot of it.

The 70's were particularly bad. I felt in the 80's and 90's there was more effort to keep what we still had, but in the current times there seems to be general indifference or disdain for anything not new. I feel that sentiment will change in the next decade or so and there will be a lot of regret - what is quickly torn down can't just be easily undone.

Cities that are attractive and appealing make an effort to keep, reuse and enhance their older buildings.

A few years ago before my father died, we sat on a patio over looking downtown. He looked across the city and sighed, Turned to me and said " they are tearing down buildings I designed".

Sad thing is, Buildings that I worked on when I started my career are being removed now. and that is after 2 renos at least.

Back