News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Old Strathcona & The Garneau Real Estate

quit

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone know if this thing will ever go away? It is the one thing that bugs me about this entire area and really detracts from this part of Whyte Ave being fully engaging. Coming in from Calgary and hitting Whyte Ave to see this feels terrible.

Hearing rumours that Chapters on Whyte may be closing, and that Winners is interested in the space. Unsubstantiated.

Confirmed:

I have to say I'm really confused by 1) all the people lamenting the loss of Chapters, which when it originally opened on Whyte we lamented what it would (and did) do to independent bookstores in the area, and 2) all of the people actually disappointed that a big box store is replacing another big box store in the same location.

@Daveography Well, I think the main reason why other people (and I) are mad about the Chapters closing is that not only was the store cool and convenient right on the avenue with it's large selection of books, but it was also a great meeting place and home base for people. Whether you were meeting a group of friends for a cup of coffee, or simply exploring the shelves and sitting down with a good book you found, you would always find a way to have fun. Also, in my opinion, a Winners would be even more detrimental to stores In the area, since it ruins the feel that Whyte has and impedes on the independent clothing stores on the avenue.

All I'm trying to say is that in the end, Chapters fit with the character of Whyte Avenue MUCH more than a Winners ever could, and that's what I think people are mad about. (Btw, I don't have anything against independent bookstores, and in the end, I think that Chapters closing will benefit their success in the long run, but that is really the only good thing that will come out of this closure, imo)

I have to say I'm really confused by 1) all the people lamenting the loss of Chapters, which when it originally opened on Whyte we lamented what it would (and did) do to independent bookstores in the area, and 2) all of the people actually disappointed that a big box store is replacing another big box store in the same location.
As someone that does a lot of change management - people hate change, more so large/swift changes, and this is one of those things. It doesn't even have to be something that people are terribly attached to. Often, people have attached themselves to or developed a routine with something that makes adjustment difficult.

I embrace change, but that is definitely not the case for the majority of people.

@westcoastjos I agree, I'm kind of baffled by the reactions to this. Part of that may be me being old enough to remember when Chapters opened and swept out all of the independent bookstores in the area. Not sure how this is any worse, or what people expected.

@westcoastjos I agree, I'm kind of baffled by the reactions to this. Part of that may be me being old enough to remember when Chapters opened and swept out all of the independent bookstores in the area. Not sure how this is any worse, or what people expected.
It is not any different than the previous situation. That said, people are upset about their favourite place to meet up for lattes being gone, instead of the larger issues at hand that you are pointing out - mostly due to ignorance, I don't think most are willfully ignorant in this case.

Okay, I have personally come to a middle ground on this issue. Yeah, I do agree that in the end, nothing much is going to change on Whyte now that a big-box store has replaced another big-box store, but at least the former big-box store sold books, a product that (generally) gave people more intellect as opposed to just another giant clothing brand.

Confirmed:

To construct Interior and exterior and new addition (51.93m2), to an existing retail space for a new tenant - Plaza 82 - Winners on Whyte

Back