News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Noisy vehicles

I think it's disingenuous to equate noise from "an active and vibrant community" with excessive vehicle noise. The noise from people on patios, farmers market or street festivals is a totally different type of noise than loud car exhausts which carry for many blocks.
i agree completely.

furthermore, you could also say the same thing about “sonic boom” and “disco in the park” etc. that are heard kilometres away, not just blocks and not just in passing but non-stop for days.

in both cases however, i don’t think it’s the ability to be loud as much as the abuse of that ability.

i’m okay with someone owning a harley or a viper or a ford f350 capable of exceeding 85db leisurely cruising down my street at 30-40 kph in 3rd or 4th gear. i’m not okay with a dozen harley’s playing “catch me if you can” roaring by - literally - at 60-80 kph in 1st or 2nd gear at all hours of the day and night, oftentimes on a circle cruise where it’s “and here they come again…”

it’s less about the expected noise and sirens and garbage trucks etc. - that all provide an accepted purpose/service - and more about the gratuitous use of volume to be abusive.

The problem is that any law restricting noise to 85 db at the pipe will be an all encompassing law Ken. Everyone loses because of a few ignorant assholes. I don’t disagree that revving the piss out of your Harley at 2AM isn’t a POS move I don’t think anyone likes that myself included. But when it comes to enacting law, it’s not a grey matter. We either get rid of all loud vehicles or get rid of none.

Maybe instead, a law for just that type of incessant irritation could be put into place and enforced in passing. We could call it “disturbing the peace”.

Automated enforcement, and asking police to chase down Corvettes who are minding their own business because their vehicles have a rumble at 2750 rpm (which is what something like this will morph into) is a waste of finite resources and will eventually end up being abused as yet another revenue stream. Kinda dystopian if you ask me.

1661444336784.gif

Makes me wonder what kind of noise-makers are going to be invented when all new vehicles become electric and there are no more gas stations on the scene -- how then are hog-riders going to get that special tingle in their balls?

Makes me wonder what kind of noise-makers are going to be invented when all new vehicles become electric and there are no more gas stations on the scene -- how then are hog-riders going to get that special tingle in their balls?
I was wondering about that too after all our discussion on the topic. I expect around 2040 it’ll be a non issue as the number of ICE’s out there will be limited to heavy equipment and large trucks.

I think we will have quieter vehicles with insane amounts of torque at the wheels. Hydrogen and EV have so much potential.

The problem is that any law restricting noise to 85 db at the pipe will be an all encompassing law Ken. Everyone loses because of a few ignorant assholes. I don’t disagree that revving the piss out of your Harley at 2AM isn’t a POS move I don’t think anyone likes that myself included. But when it comes to enacting law, it’s not a grey matter. We either get rid of all loud vehicles or get rid of none.

Maybe instead, a law for just that type of incessant irritation could be put into place and enforced in passing. We could call it “disturbing the peace”.
i wasn't suggesting that restricting noise to 85db at the pipe is a good solution (noting of course that the status quo isn't a good solution either).

the problem isn't simply the capability of making noise, it's the how and when that capability is exercises. we don't make amplifiers and speakers illegal because some jerk uses them on his patio or his balcony instead of in his theatre room.

i'd be fine if the actual problem was addressed by enforcing a realistic "disturbing the peace" policy.

i also know that there isn't a single 24/7/365 solution. but i'd be quite happy with a 23/7/350 set of solutions, as would most reasonable people.

^Suck it up princess if you don’t like it move out of the city and leave the city as a ghost town. At least you haven’t lost all of your hearing yet. I SAID AT LEAST YOU HAVEN’T LOST ALL YOUR HEARING YET. Maybe we should set the decibel level at ear drum popping level. I SAID…. Oh never mind.

Weren't these tested in Edmonton 2 years back? They also had electric signs with the decibels emitted which seemed to backfire as losers would do this to see how loud they could record.

Seems like a great idea as the technology has already been implemented in other jurisdictions. I thought I read they have been implemented in Australia and UK. Would be great if we could verify if the tickets could be legally enforceable within our current legal system or whether laws would need to be changed.

Back