News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Noisy vehicles

Aaron_Lloyd

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not for me, but certainly would respect the work he has done on this particular issue.

😍

If Janz is the one to finally get this issue under control it would certainly outshine all my previous misgivings about him.
That to me is a bit insane. Driving a loud vehicle is NOT a crime and punishing people with 10,000 dollar tickets is not a healthy allocation of police and enforcement resources. We also do not need any further automated enforcement.

I could see time limitations though as a healthy compromise. Revving your engines beyond 90 db after 10PM could get you a citation and a 250 dollar ticket for example.

Note. I say this not liking loud vehicles and driving a fiesta. I just feel councillors are getting a little psycho and draconian with their solutions.

Seeing how poorly Project TENSOR went, seems we need to go "draconian". This isn't going to be a fine someone stumbles into, the drivers affected are almost certainly well aware their vehicles are an annoyance to thousands of people across the city every time they go for a ride. I don't see why we should be treating them with kid gloves when they're being such willful assholes.

Last edited:
There’s just no utility to noisy vehicles. So I support these fines. Same way I support no smoking on airplanes or close to entrances. What you do in your private space is up to you, but it shouldn’t impact others. Go to a track or own a big property if you want a place to play with loud cars. City streets with businesses, kids, people sleeping on night shift, babies napping, patios, etc have no need for loud vehicles. I have a friend with autism that’s severely affected by sudden loud noises and cars with loud revs or other noises startle him badly and cause legitimate harm beyond just the annoyance it is for everyone else.

These fines can help ensure 1 person can’t negatively affect thousands of others just cause they feel like it.

I guess I just disagree. I come from the country side and was able to acclimate to city noises and this included hot rods racing down Jasper. Didn’t think those noises were detrimental to my mental health in anybody but I can understand peoples need to sleep. Like I said. Quiet times would be a reasonable compromise that doesn’t infringe in the hobbies and passions of others.

I guess I just disagree. I come from the country side and was able to acclimate to city noises and this included hot rods racing down Jasper. Didn’t think those noises were detrimental to my mental health in anybody but I can understand peoples need to sleep. Like I said. Quiet times would be a reasonable compromise that doesn’t infringe in the hobbies and passions of others.
If I’m sitting on a patio at the Common on 109th, Rocky Mountain Icehouse on Jasper, Julio’s on Whyte or Irrational on 124th, I shouldn’t have to yell over the loud vehicles to talk to my friends at the table.

It's not just sleep disruption. Noise pollution does impact our health and wellbeing, whether or not we are used to hearing it. High levels of noise tends to cause stress and raise blood pressure. So every time someone decides to rev their engine to dangerous decibel levels, that's thousands of people in the vicinity that get physically stressed (e.g. raising their voice to be heard, tensing up, or becoming otherwise alarmed) even if it's something they've otherwise normalized.

A person's hobby shouldn't cause everyone around them to become distressed and irritated. If I decided my new hobby was to clap my hands next to people's ears, I don't think I would get away with it by saying, well they weren't sleeping and it wasn't during quiet hours so stop infringing on my passions.

A person's hobby shouldn't cause everyone around them to become distressed and irritated. If I decided my new hobby was to clap my hands next to people's ears, I don't think I would get away with it by saying, well they weren't sleeping and it wasn't during quiet hours so stop infringing on my passions.

Respectfully, I’d like some evidence that you guys are speaking on behalf of thousands of people as you say who are in immediate distress due to city noise. If you can provide me even some small sample statistics I’d appreciate that.

Otherwise I’d say you’re only voicing your own opinions just as I am mine but also speaking on behalf of the ENTIRE the community. I know about 20-30 friends in the core and I don’t think a single one had an issue with noise.

Personally, I moved downtown from one of the darkest and quietest places being Genesee. Yeah the noise was something I had to get used to and even lost sleep over when I moved, but I’d say if you can’t acclimate to inner city living then move to the suburbs or the country side. I’d double down on this if it’s affecting your mental health.

That ^ is one of my pet peeves of absolute BS comments of/and 'you should accept disruption' if you want to live Downtown/Centrally. The level of disrespect to those of 'us' who live in these areas, or any areas for that matter, is really disturbing.

Respect, please & thank you.

Last edited:
That ^ is one of my pet peeves of absolute BS comments of/and 'you should accept disruption' if you want to live Downtown/Centrally. The level of disrespect to those of 'us' who live in these areas, or any areas for that matter, is really disturbing.

Respect, please & thank you.

Hey man, if you can't handle someone's opinion on the matter stay out of the conversation. My comments were not disrespectful merely suggestions. Downtowns are loud, and because they're downtowns they attract lots of loud vehicles simply by the number of people that come there. Edmonton is actually tame compared to some of the cities I've lived in.

You wanna talk about respect? You're trying to police other's lives without opposition or discussion. And to be frank, you quite frequently make condescending comments towards people on this board. People tolerate it because you're entitled to your voice. Think about that when you make comments on respect.

Show it to earn it my dude.

Last edited:
Hey man, if you can't handle someone's opinion on the matter stay out of the conversation. My comments were not disrespectful merely suggestions. Downtowns are loud, and because they're downtowns they attract lots of loud vehicles simply by the number of people that come there. Edmonton is actually tame compared to some of the cities I've lived in.

You wanna talk about respect? You're trying to police other's lives without opposition or discussion. And to be frank, you quite frequently make condescending comments towards people on this board. People tolerate it because you're entitled to your voice. Think about that when you make comments on respect.

Show it to earn it my dude.

Insinuating that residents of the Downtown should accept loud cars, excessive noise and disruption is rude, disrespectful and wrong; a busy, vibrant core does not have to be loud or wake folks trying to sleep from 11pm-7am.

It's BS through and through, period.

Insinuating that residents of the Downtown should accept loud cars, excessive noise and disruption is rude, disrespectful and wrong; a busy, vibrant core does not have to be loud or wake folks trying to sleep from 11pm-7am.

It's BS through and through, period.

I’m not sure how you missed my point, I think you got annoyed and stopped listening, I’m not telling you how to think I’m making the suggestion of why would you live in a loud area in the first place if you’re noise sensitive? I bought my condo (close to street level on an active street and in a louder area than you) knowing full well noise was going to be a factor. But that is just part of being in an active and vibrant community. My own personal opinion is that if it bothered me to the point of distress, I would just move to a community that is more in line with my needs - because that option is there without putting noise cameras up and wasting precious police resources for MY emotions and feelings.

I think it comes off as a bit entitled when a small group of people try to police and enforce their opinions on others. And you wanna know the thing about the psychology of noise? You acclimate to your environment when you allow yourself to, that’s a scientific fact. If 85 db (right at the exhaust pipe and not at your window btw) is giving you anxiety but then suddenly stops due to new laws, you’ll get used to it and it’ll the road noise and the Diesel engines that’ll do so next. Maybe listen to your body and just get away from noise in general if such is the case, or do as a downtown Vancouver family member does and have fans create white noise.

It’s a bit different then feeling chased out of your community by crime or gang activity. Downtowns will just always be loud and people need to accept that because it’s just not the exhausts. It’s a collection of things due to population density.

DM me if you wanna discuss further. Let’s not monopolize the thread because this could go on and on.

Back