News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Municipal Politics

I came to Edmonton during the Bill Smith 0% tax increase days… it fucked over Edmonton for YEARS….

People need to understand that unlike income tax, property tax doesnt really automatically scale with inflation and home prices.

I came to Edmonton during the Bill Smith 0% tax increase days… it fucked over Edmonton for YEARS….

People need to understand that unlike income tax, property tax doesnt really automatically scale with inflation and home prices.
This! We really need to set property taxes as a percentage and then leave it as something the city works within. But then our outrage farmers wouldn't get their chance to play victim every year. While we are fantasizing, let the province collect its own education taxes.

Delaying renewal is the worst idea. It’s such a good system and is badly needed. It was the result of neglect, so let’s not go back into neglecting.
I believe the motion at SOBA from Cartmell was to delay by one year. I think his idea was to try to help reduce the tax levy increase. HOWEVER, Rutherford wanted as subsequent motion to look at how this money freed up could be used for more spending. That's crazy, we already have a huge infrastructure deficit and the Neighbourhood Renewal plan has been very popular.

That had a huge effect on infrastructure renewal specifically. None of the contemplated 27% increase is for capital spending. It's all operational.

I suspect that you will see a significant amount of business people working with and backing TAPYEG.

Council needs to come back to centre, focus on some of the basics a bit more and ensure that there is a greater amount of experience and business acumen sitting around the table.

I suspect that you will see a significant amount of business people working with and backing TAPYEG.

Council needs to come back to centre, focus on some of the basics a bit more and ensure that there is a greater amount of experience and business acumen sitting around the table.
It was in the works even before TAPYEG. There were already some prominent families and individuals that have been trying to get similar thought candidates to run as early as last summer/fall even before the province announced this change.

A lot of business folks and groups including DRC and the Chamber have had it with this council

This! We really need to set property taxes as a percentage and then leave it as something the city works within. But then our outrage farmers wouldn't get their chance to play victim every year. While we are fantasizing, let the province collect its own education taxes.
Municipalities should not have to base their income on what is predominantly a tax on capital in order to fund operations. That needs to shift to some form of fee for service so that (a) the city knows the cost of those services being providing and (b) those consuming those services should also be aware of the cost. Costs should be related to the use/consumption/demand for those services so all parties can respond appropriately. This absolutely needs to include provisions for services - such as transit - at low or no cost to those without the resources but even that can likely be better served utilizing a VAT/sales tax than it the current system.

I had the same reaction and laugh when reading that statement from this new city party. This UCP government is not easy to work with at all- not just the big cities feel that way.
Sohi is a fair and reasonable person, regardless of any other opinions of him.

The city should absolutely call it out if the province is not funding us properly or there is noticeable inequities.

Way too much has been downloaded onto cities and cut from their budgets.

Another huge factor against the city that has significant cost implications on so many levels - Edmonton has shouldered so much of the burden of homelessness and crime of communities outside Edmonton to the north and the Territories - that's from St. Albert's mayor. People in need just get dropped off here. Also noted was Edmonton has a huge number of correctional facilities (4 federal and 2 provincial). And more people are released from prison every day in Edmonton than any other city in Canada! Not per capita. I mean more people than any other city. And when the city brings this up to the province about people being dropped off here, and that firefighter resources etc are being utilized for care andcresponse, what is provincial response - don't treat them then. Don't do anything.

Completely safe to say, and incredibly obvious, that the provincial government is going to start implementing policies that will actively harm both Edmonton and Calgary. Other politicians would do it subtly but this is plain and obvious for everyone to see.

It was in the works even before TAPYEG. There were already some prominent families and individuals that have been trying to get similar thought candidates to run as early as last summer/fall even before the province announced this change.

A lot of business folks and groups including DRC and the Chamber have had it with this council
I want more business minded councillors AND true urbanists and city planners.

I’m very afraid of the swing to populist, anti bike lane conservative types under the guise of “Business minded”.

We need better leaders. We also don’t need to rip out bike lanes, cancel LRTs, widen roads, and bail on downtown for a suburban mindset (we have enough of that in this city).

I listened to TAP YEG’s launch interview. It was a bunch of non speak and blatant wish casting. They were completely out of touch with the realities of prov/muni jurisdiction.

It was hard to take them credibly.

This provincial government seems to throw so much $h!t around on a daily basis that it's hard to keep up, never mind respond to.

And this one the day after announcing some $9 million will be spent on a study for a 15 year master plan for high speed rail.
Flooding the zone with crap is a ligit political tactic. I agree this is whats happening.

The flip side is there is no way most of this “shit” can be accomplished in any meaningful fashion before the next election. Simply impossible.

Back