News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Municipal Politics

There has been criticism of this city council and mayor, and while that will always be the case and I certainly have my grievances, one thing I am most upset about is this provincial government.

It would be a different story with a Nenshi led government in terms of support for housing, downtown issues and more.

I really believe the UCP would like our progressive councils in both cities to not do well. In the recall Gondek campaign, there were ucp events in Calgary - official provincial riding events in Calgary - where announcements were made about signing the petition to recall the mayor and the petition was available. That is so offside.

Out of the three levels of government, many of the provinces including ours have been the biggest hurdle in joint initiatives from happening. Our province has on multiple occasions left federal money on the table related to health, daycare and more.

Ford in Ontario is being provided hundreds of millions in housing support but because he can't get past the idea of fourplexes, he is willing to not accept it and see things get worse. Several of the provinces in this country scare me the most and I say that knowing we have a federal government who has messed up multiple, multiple times.
"progressive councils" ? Hillarious!!

CSU 52 basically got what they wanted, which Corbold forewarned Council would add an additional 2.5% to 2024 and 2% to 2025. What was just released was 2.1%, so it's mostly related to CSU 52 agreement. Media reported on this during the negotiations so I'm not sure why these two articles didn't mention that.

CSU 52 basically got what they wanted, which Corbold forewarned Council would add an additional 2.5% to 2024 and 2% to 2025. What was just released was 2.1%, so it's mostly related to CSU 52 agreement. Media reported on this during the negotiations so I'm not sure why these two articles didn't mention that.

Narrative council is pushing, or at least a few, is there wouldnt be a tax increase if province didnt shortchange city on at least a half dozen different spending items.

Narrative council is pushing, or at least a few, is there wouldnt be a tax increase if province didnt shortchange city on at least a half dozen different spending items.
It could prove to be popular. This coming in on the heels of the municipal parties, provincial gatekeeping of municipal funds and general Danielle Smith antics could deflect popular anger in that direction, if they hammer that point home.

Sooo…

It now looks like our property taxes in Edmonton will go up 8.7% this year, 7% next year and 6 7% the year after.

23.75% in 3 years!

Imagine the uproar if income taxes or sales taxes or carbon taxes were to escalate at that pace…

It's hard to say if this will be successful or not. Province doesn't have to do anything it doesn't want to unfortunately. Not saying it's fair but you have to work within the framework you've got. Andre was telling them in 2022 you needed to factor in wages going up, Council told him to take it out.

So they knew this was coming and now they are finding politically expedient ways to shift the blame. Maybe that's just politics, but taxpayers aren't gonna really know why they're paying this much.

Last edited:
It's hard to say if this will be successful or not. Province doesn't have to do anything it doesn't want to unfortunately. Not saying it's fair but you have to work within the framework you've got. Andre was telling them in 2022 you needed to factor in wages going up, Council told him to take it out.

So they knew this was coming and now they are finding politically expedient ways to shift the blame. Maybe that's just politics, but taxpayers aren't gonna really know why they're paying this much.
Voters are going to hold the City of Edmonton accountable for increases on bills that prominently say City of Edmonton on them. Surely even politicians can understand that.

I also agree there was some kicking the can down the road related to wage increases. They knew this was coming, it should not have been a surprise to any competent management.

Back