News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Municipal Politics

Adam Laughlin, P.Eng., ICD.DAdam Laughlin, P.Eng., ICD.D(He/Him) • 1st(He/Him) • 1stConstruction Manager at PCL ConstructionConstruction Manager at PCL Construction
1h • Edited • 1h • Edited •

Early in February, I decided to step away from the City of Edmonton after 18 years. I am extremely grateful for my time there and for having worked with so many great people over the years. It has been a wonderful experience helping to build a great City for Edmontonians.

After some time away and a lot of reflection, I’m happy to share that I’m starting a new chapter in my career with a move back to the private sector, joining the PCL Construction family as a Construction Manager in the Edmonton Buildings and Civil District. I am grateful to the PCL team for the warm welcome and excited to work for a company that is focused on being a construction leader, employer of choice and an active leader in the community.
#MyPCLJourney

There could be an opportunity for the city to get some much needed money if some of the golf courses were sold to private owners.

However that could also mean reduced public access to affordable recreational activities particularly in more central areas of the city.

They should absolutely NOT get out of that business, but that business must be competitive and of a reasonable service quality.

This is no different than hockey rinks, baseball diamonds or soccer.

They should absolutely NOT get out of that business, but that business must be competitive and of a reasonable service quality.

This is no different than hockey rinks, baseball diamonds or soccer.

I wouldn't support selling public golf courses to the private industry to operate. I would be supportive of reducing the amount of river valley land in our core dedicated to golf courses however, as they account for a large volume of space.
And if water restrictions become a growing issue, which many analysts suggest will be, then it makes sense in that regard, too.

We have way too many golf courses in our river valley. Why, for example, do we have 2 golf courses (Victoria and Mayfair) that are practically across the river from each other? I say close down the Victoria Golf Course while retaining the driving range, Greenhouse restaurant and the cricket pitch, and transform the rest of it into a municipal park that is akin to Hawrelak Park or maybe an extension of Victoria Park.

The thing about our Muni golf courses if they are affordable and accessible for those in the city looking to enjoy the game. There aren't a ton of options for public golf without going to the outskirts or even outside city limits. If they eliminate those and turn them into public parks that becomes an expense for a city already struggling to make ends meet. Respecting the idea of green space for all I have often contended that I don't think we lack space for our citizens to enjoy even with the temporary Hawrelak rebuild.

I would be in favor of selling off surplus land/buildings to pay for SPECIFIC high priority or city building type capital projects, like the redevelopment of the Rossdale Power plant and surrounding area, for instance. Perhaps that could be done through a Municipal Development Corporation as others have noted on this forum. But as stated above, I'm 100% against the money from surplus land sales funding operating or overhead costs for a year or two.

Yup. It’s also politically convenient to not be associated with a political party for someone who’s on the right of the political spectrum in Edmonton.

The moment you are? It’s easy to go:
- be fiscal conservative
- have conservative-ish party municipally
- be associated with UCP
- be politically sent to the grave before you can even wake up in the morning

Back