News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Municipal Politics

This resurfaced again. I can't believe how much fear there is around the concept of 15 minute city planning and that it's all about deep state control.

Screenshot_20240204-160408_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240204-160427_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240204-160522_Samsung Internet.jpg

Councillors have the opportunity to move the Oliver neighbourhood’s proposed new name, Wîhkwêntôwin ᐄᐧᐦᑫᐧᐣᑑᐃᐧᐣ, closer to being official at an executive committee meeting scheduled for Feb. 7. Wîhkwêntôwin, pronounced we-kwen-to-win, means “circle of friends” in nêhiyawêwin, or Cree. The city introduced a new policy in 2021 that allows communities to request to rename if the namesake’s views do not reflect equity and inclusion. If a community wants to rename a neighbourhood or a significant asset, the new name must be approved by the naming committee, which is made up of citizen volunteers. If executive committee approves the Wîhkwêntôwin name on Feb. 7, it will move on to city council for final approval.

Not another unpronounceable name. 🙄
It's a lot easier to pronounce than it is to spell. :)

I don't mind it - (it's probably no worse than Saskatchewan once you get used to saying it a few times).

It is, however, probably the end of projects and buildings adopting the neighbournood name (it's simply too long).

It's a lot easier to pronounce than it is to spell. :)

I don't mind it - (it's probably no worse than Saskatchewan once you get used to saying it a few times).

It is, however, probably the end of projects and buildings adopting the neighbournood name (it's simply too long).
Yes it is. It reminds me a bit of Saskatchewan and Wetaskiwin, which may also have some similar roots. But a problem is the spelling does not help us with the pronunciation and the length for a neighbourhood name.

So I suspect the old name will continue to be used for buildings, etc... where it is already used and not be replaced, or at least not by the new name and anything not tied to government will not use the new name much.

One of the most recognizable areas of the city will lose its identity a bit or fade a bit in prominence, which I don't think is the intention of this but may be the consequence.

City went from cutting grass once a week to once every two weeks during COVID. Some boulevards are not maintained at all anymore, LRT entrances not planted with flowers, less flower boxes along the bike lanes etc.

They also have put in place a heavy emphasis on "naturalization" of various parks areas to reduce the amount of areas maintained, and focusing more on community maintained flower/shrub beds, which IMO have been smart moves.

IMO my biggest worry is all the Valley Line shrub/flower beds and proper maintenance of them. I believe this year it becomes the City's job to maintain them, and there are A LOT to do.

Glad to see the renaming of Oliver to Wîhkwêntôwin is approved. A lovely name for the area and I am sure will be second nature in no time.

I don't see anywhere in the news release over what period of time that 7.25% increase is over. If I recall, the period being discussed was over 4 to 5 years.

But perhaps it doesn't sound so good, when it works out to less than 2% per year, when inflation has been around 3% or higher recently.

Back