News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Municipal Politics

She may host her own things but they are not very clearly promoted and I've never seen her at a community event. The exact opposite of our MLA, Janis, who is everywhere. Even Caterina made the effort to come to community festivals, local school events, and other community gatherings. And her office often does not respond to emails, even to say they have acknowledged them.

The issues we've been trying to raise include: The systematic and illegal deforestation of Kinnaird (Rat) Creek Ravine by a small group of street involved folks, she has not responded to any of the multiple requests to come view the damage or even talk to the Friends of Kinnaird Ravine whom she promised to connect with during the campaign and then has ignored since.

The lack of any public transit access to the ACT Centre in Rundle Park. A City of Edmonton recreation facility that has ZERO public transit running to it so low income folks with Leisure Access Passes cannot use it.

Lastly, any sort of communication or planning around the demolition of the Coliseum. Yes, she got the motion passed to finally demolish the damn thing but she's been completely silent when it comes communicating with the community about it and advocating to speed up the plan so it stops being a vacant wasteland in the middle of our community

All 3 of these are distinctly CoE issues and can't be blamed on being out of jurisdiction.

Basically, she may be the darling of urbanists but her ground game is quite poor. I was overjoyed when Caterina was no longer our councillor but have been disappointed since.

Her social media is full of community events, many with MLA Irwin. Here is update on Coliseum as well.

Screenshot_20231220-000125_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20231220-000141_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20231220-000211_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20231220-001039_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20231219-235017_Instagram.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219-234952_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219-234952_Instagram.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20231219-235346_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219-235346_Instagram.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 13
Her social media is full of community events, many with MLA Irwin. Here is update on Coliseum as well.
I stand by my statements, I know my experience and those of my neighbors. Presence is more than curated social media posts and choreographed events.

I saw Gondek has 30% approval rating- lowest in that city's history.

And their council as a whole is under 40%. But they did just have a big tax increase.

I haven't seen any polling regarding our council.

Last edited:
Gondek's rating is a combination of facing the same pressures as Edmonton, the political fallout of pushing residential to pay more property tax percentage wise and wildly rising rents.

The only thing she has to publicly state as an achievement is the HAF funding and the arena deal (which alienated a lot of progressives/centrists, the same coalition that voted for her instead of Farkas)

In comparison, Sohi and Edmonton's council has more items on their list that they've achieved (or attributed to them) so far (ZBR, $100 million on active transportation, Valley Line SE opening, possibly more ETS service hours in the future) that don't alienate their political base.

Gondek's rating is a combination of facing the same pressures as Edmonton, the political fallout of pushing residential to pay more property tax percentage wise and wildly rising rents.

The only thing she has to publicly state as an achievement is the HAF funding and the arena deal (which alienated a lot of progressives/centrists, the same coalition that voted for her instead of Farkas)

In comparison, Sohi and Edmonton's council has more items on their list that they've achieved (or attributed to them) so far (ZBR, $100 million on active transportation, Valley Line SE opening, possibly more ETS service hours in the future) that don't alienate their political base.
Calgary has a larger and more influential conservative political force, so Gondek faced a tougher crowd from the start. A fairly shaky performance and recent big tax increases haven't helped her.

Our mayor and council also have some serious performance issues, but not quite as high profile and they held back on the tax increase a bit more than Calgary. It will be a bumpy ride for our gang, but they probably still have a little bit more room to pull it together than Gondek does.

I saw Gondek has 30% approval rating- lowest in that city's history.

And their council as a whole is under 40%. But they did just have a big tax increase.

I haven't seen any polling regarding our council.
This is a global trend. Many countries are seeing fully reactionary elections. Just swinging from one side to another in hopes of change. Says less about the actual leadership imho and more about the general state of leadership and society in our world today. We have shifted from a high anxiety, to a high anger culture. Protest, misinformation, and deeper polarization continue to be the trend lines. Not an easy time for anyone to lead anywhere.

I think both Salvador and Cartmell would excel in some areas and have their drawbacks as well. But either would be decent I think. Again, just 1 vote, so as long as things stay balanced. It would be cool to see a bold new candidate step up though.

This might be different than some people's views, but I think all politicians need to be less focused on politics, sound bites and what they say and more focused on running things well.

I get there is are big partisan divides these days, but the good thing is the city government is not set up that way. Voters want the basics like snow cleared, public safety and not big tax increases. Politicians these days seem to get distracted and go off in all sorts of tangents while not paying enough attention to the things that really matter to voters.

Spend less time on twitter and more time on running things.

Toronto looking at 10.5% property tax increase which amounts to an extra $360/yr for average homeowner. Is that going to increase rents even more there?

Again, despite our property tax increase in Edmonton, we're very affordable. But cities are in very tough financially.

With Rachel Notley stepping down as leader, I wonder if she has had any thoughts for running for mayor? She has the local popularity to win.

With Rachel Notley stepping down as leader, I wonder if she has had any thoughts for running for mayor? She has the local popularity to win.
When you add Nenshi and Iveson, there's some pretty potent political talent here in AB sitting on the sidelines with a lot of question marks.

Back