News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Municipal Politics

"During their presentation on Tuesday to city council, administration said costs are being partially offset with lower personnel costs “due to unfilled vacancies across various city departments.” Higher membership and admission revenue for recreational facilities and programs is adding to the offset."

interesting that there was no mention of how much the city saves every day it doesn't snow and how much of the $22 million drop from earlier year end estimates is due to the weather. of course administration can't take credit for the weather...

Good question. Remember the days when journalists would actually ask questions like that, print the response or indicate if there was no response?

I find the article a bit confusing, going on about Yellowknife wildfire costs which leads me to believe it is part of the deficit, but then it says it will be recovered, leading me to believe it is not. But who knows, maybe that's in the next fiscal year, so it doesn't count until then.

"During their presentation on Tuesday to city council, administration said costs are being partially offset with lower personnel costs “due to unfilled vacancies across various city departments.” Higher membership and admission revenue for recreational facilities and programs is adding to the offset."

interesting that there was no mention of how much the city saves every day it doesn't snow and how much of the $22 million drop from earlier year end estimates is due to the weather. of course administration can't take credit for the weather...

Doesn't even take into account potential settlements with CSU52 and the other unions.

I see Coun. Rice using the Pierre Poilievre CPC party tag line- "common sense approach".

We already started to see some party politics in the last municipal election.

Screenshot_20231218-162013_Gmail.jpg

Sohi would have my vote out of the three named.
Cartmell is a kinder gentler version of Mike Nickel, while common sense and politics don't match up in Rice's distorted viewpoint.
Salvador has my vote for Mayor of Edmonton if she wants it.

Rice is a joke and should be laughed off of Council.
She can run an easy campaign as a "common sense candidate" since she's constantly a contrarian on Council, voting no on property tax increases, etc. Doesn't matter if she's competent or not.

Cartmell is a kinder gentler version of Mike Nickel, while common sense and politics don't match up in Rice's distorted viewpoint.
Thank god it isn't up to you

The possibilities would be would be endless with another 4 years of Sohi or think just how much we could achieve on cleanliness and crime with another career bureaucrat in Salvador...

Last edited:
Yeah Cartmell literally, and I mean literally, crying over Valley Line West and pulling the whole "oh see the reason why we can't have bus service in suburban Keswick is because of the LRT!" has made him unpalatable.

She can run an easy campaign as a "common sense candidate" since she's constantly a contrarian on Council, voting no on property tax increases, etc. Doesn't matter if she's competent or not.
She might have a better chance of putting that image across, if she didn't have a revolving door with many former unhappy staff. More like common pest than common sense.

I had considered Cartmell, but after trying to reach out to him, he has been a disappointment to me. For those who want change, find someone better or you will end up regretting it.

Back