News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Municipal Politics

The police's union negotiated the contract at a national level.
i'm not sure on what basis you think that edmonton's police union and the city of edmonton negotiated their contract other than on their own respective behalf and solely with each other.

they may well both have used salaries elsewhere as comparables or targets but neither of them "negotiated the contract at a national level" and both of them are living with a contract that was ultimately determined by arbitration, not negotiation.

Not an issue specific to Edmonton, but I was fascinated to learn what has been going on in the city of Chestermere. The municipal affairs minister intends to fire the entire elected council as well as the CAOs. I'm not privy to all the details of course but I think it's pretty extreme to completely overturn the results of an election and remove a council that the voters have chosen.

Not an issue specific to Edmonton, but I was fascinated to learn what has been going on in the city of Chestermere. The municipal affairs minister intends to fire the entire elected council as well as the CAOs. I'm not privy to all the details of course but I think it's pretty extreme to completely overturn the results of an election and remove a council that the voters have chosen.

Gotta love small town political drama. Reminds me of when Thorhild County couple years back had similar issues and the province stepped in and fired some councilors. I also read about another small town where the CAO and other town staff members all collectively went on stress leave due to issues with harassment from elected councilors and residents.

The biggest non-surprise of this council honestly.

lol at the one Edmonton Journal commenter saying she's a progressive.
We can forgive them, Post Media saying anything negative about a conservative is exceptionally rare this day.

I forgive their confusion.

This city council sure has it all! Mostly a collection of mediocre and not very competent and now this - outright bad.
Dying at this quote from the comment section:

"Jennifer Rice literally cannot run a three person office...how can she run the City of Edmonton?"

Back