News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Municipal Politics

I also think Sohi is a better choice, but getting the City out of their current position in blatchford (as Oshry suggests) is a very good idea.

Oshry is also the only candidate listing Rossdale development as a priority with a strategy.

Edited from his site:

"We will achieve significant redevelopment at West Rossdale over the next five years, by:

Activating the private sector. The City’s own investment should be minimal and paid for with proceeds from land sales in Rossdale and from selling suburban landholdings. We will prep the site, invest in important public amenities and do everything possible to attract critical private sector investment partners, as well as adding dedicated administrative resources to champion this development.

Renew the spark at our amazing power plant building. We will work with the Government of Alberta, Invest Alberta, Explore Edmonton and Innovate Edmonton to develop a workable plan to redevelop this iconic and historic building.

Ensure a CRL or a similar funding mechanism is put in place to cover the City’s commitments and to ensure all tax uplift from new development in Rossdale is kept in Rossdale until the redevelopment is complete.

Create “A Fast Start” development plan by inviting key stakeholders and all Edmontonians into the process, including (but not limited to):Full integration of the Indigenous community in a manner that honours and recognizes the people who first gathered at Rossdale and maximizes opportunities for Indigenous economic development.Using this opportunity to advance the River Crossing infill development goals.Maximizing the tourism potential of the site with access to recreation, food and dining and integration with the broader river valley ecosystem and all its activities. Maximizing connections to the riverfront, and in turn making room for the ideas of others who are seeking to improve access and activities in Rossdale, like the Prairie Sky Gondola.

Achieve some early wins starting in the summer of 2022 with pop up programming such as: Concerts.Coffee shops and beer gardens.Supporting the Edmonton Riverhawks.Expanding Indigenous cultural events, such as hosting a Pow Wow.Power plant tours.

This could end up being a good race, with several candidates having past or current experience on city council and putting forth somewhat different ideas.

I like Sohi's recent comments and policy on local business growth and development. I hadn't expected it, but shows he gets this is a problem, which is a good sign.

I think Krushell and Oshry are very capable and competent too with a good mix of private and public sector experience, although I think they will have to work hard to raise their profile in this race.

thee PM comes to meet the Premier in Alberta and he goes to Calgary, instead of coming to the capital of the province (ant then goes to meet with that city's mayor). It is starting to become RIDICULOUS!

thee PM comes to meet the Premier in Alberta and he goes to Calgary, instead of coming to the capital of the province (ant then goes to meet with that city's mayor). It is starting to become RIDICULOUS!

I would say there were probably no flights into EIA, but the PM has his own jet.
I think, in part, this might have had something to do with the province finally releasing its share of funding for the $5.5B section of the Green Line lrt project of which the federal government is a major contributor. That project can now proceed.

I think with the resumption of more travel, we will probably see much more of politicians over this summer, particularly those anticipating an election.

If current polling figures prevail, I can see a few seats in Edmonton and Calgary being crucial to whether the current Federal government gets a majority or not.

Many Federal politicians seem to schedule visits to Calgary around Stampede time and go elsewhere at other times in the summer.

Just listening to Mr. Sohi/his campaign and they shared this chart for comparison.
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 12.31.30 PM.png

Sohi is clear front runner - even before he started sharing his platform. I know many Iveson people working for him.

Speaking of Iveson, it seems he or somebody is wondering how he might do running in Edmonton Centre in next federal election.

My friend received a phone call asking who he supports for PM next election, then party, then which of the candidates in Edmonton Centre he would support and Iveson's name was mentioned I believe under the Liberal banner.

Sohi is clear front runner - even before he started sharing his platform. I know many Iveson people working for him.

Speaking of Iveson, it seems he or somebody is wondering how he might do running in Edmonton Centre in next federal election.

My friend received a phone call asking who he supports for PM next election, then party, then which of the candidates in Edmonton Centre he would support and Iveson's name was mentioned I believe under the Liberal banner.
Man, you'd think he might want a little break from public life?

I think he needs a break from public life to gain some perspective about what it is like for an ordinary citizen or business person to deal with government. Also, going to Ottawa is not necessarily great for someone with a still young family.

However, I suppose from the perspective of the Federal Liberals he would be a great candidate with name recognition, a fairly good reputation and government experience. Perhaps the poll is being done to encourage him to run.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...say-proponents

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I will post it anyway. Article about the Calgary-Banff railway proposal and the boosting interest it is getting from the city, the province and the fed. Great for Calgary but I wish there were rainmakers or leaders in Edmonton with enough vision to boost a grand idea of this caliber. And I don't mean exactly like Calgary gets rail, Edmonton should get rail, but having the vision for such a grand idea is something that just seems to get pushed and marketed so much more in Calgary than Edmonton. And it of course it helps that the provincial government is involved in everything and anything Calgary recently (company relocation announcements, airline routes, downtown investments, meetings with Trudeau in Calgary, and more), but its just a shame that grand ideas like this don't seem to happen in Edmonton to a similar or more extent. Especially since we already have Via to Jasper, and how many people even know that? Rarely have I seen Via Edmonton-Jasper marketed as a tourist draw.

Has there been anyone slated in this upcoming election so far that has communicated a true vision of where they see Edmonton and want to take Edmonton into the future?

Cheryll Watson is the only one I'm aware of that highlights Calgary as an election issue - not as a rival, but a partner.

From her platform outlined on her website https://www.cheryllwatson.ca/platform

"As a first area of focus, I will Formalize an Economic Corridor Partnership with Calgary.

To enable this I will:

Invigorate the restart of the Alberta Innovation Corridor partnership:

a. Support the collaborative work of our municipal innovation agencies: Innovate Edmonton and Platform Calgary and of our community innovation ecosystem groups: the Edmonton Regional Innovation Network and the Calgary Innovation Coalition.
b. Expand the partnership to include our most promising industries: life sciences, energy, manufacturing, agribusiness, financial services, creative industries and aerospace and
logistics.

Reaffirm and ratify key partnership principles:

a. A strategic and partnered approach to economic development, foreign direct investment and intergovernmental relations activities.
b. Coordinated, equitable investment and effort in new programs and services focused on increasing the success of local businesses.
c. Collaborative sponsorship and activations at key North American and global economic events and summits."

From the article, I found this quote interesting from the CEO of Invest Alberta (and Kenny's campaign manager).

"Right now, over two million people a year are skipping Calgary when they land to go to Banff, just going straight out on Stoney Trail,” he said

Are those people still not spending money somewhere in Alberta though such as Canmore or Banff? But let's divert them to Calgary- which will take business away from somewhere else in Alberta for the benefit of Calgary, no?

To me, it illustrates the very Calgary centric view of this government and it's crown corporation Invest Alberta.

From the article, I found this quote interesting from the CEO of Invest Alberta (and Kenny's campaign manager).

"Right now, over two million people a year are skipping Calgary when they land to go to Banff, just going straight out on Stoney Trail,” he said

Are those people still not spending money somewhere in Alberta though such as Canmore or Banff? But let's divert them to Calgary- which will take business away from somewhere else in Alberta for the benefit of Calgary, no?

To me, it illustrates the very Calgary centric view of this government and it's crown corporation Invest Alberta.

The provincial government has all but come out and explicitly said they are here for Calgary. In my opinion, it is the most Calgary centric government since the Klein government. Its quite a shame.

The provincial government has all but come out and explicitly said they are here for Calgary. In my opinion, it is the most Calgary centric government since the Klein government. Its quite a shame.
kenney is worse for edmonton than klein. klein only really cared for calgary and edmonton never mattered much to him but all of alberta did and we were part of that. kenney seems to have a spiteful vendetta against anything and everything edmonton and doesn’t even attempt to hide it. in his mind we’re alberta’s version of justin trudeau - to be defeated at all costs. :(

Back