News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Municipal Politics

@archited Given her views on train technology, what is her stance on Edmonton's long-term LRT vision? Does she want these routes to be realized in a more modern fashion? Or does she want to revisit the plan altogether? And could you please expand on why you prefer her over Sohi?

@CplKlinger Kim remains open-minded about future transportation possibilities. The west extension of the Valley Line out of necessity will continue what has been built to the south. Similarly, the Central line will have to continue what exists to date with the exception that she would like to revisit existing crossings to make the line more efficient. She is tuned into modern, centrally monitored, self-driving bus technology and sees the need to look at "on-demand" bus service to make the entire system more people-friendly and more convenient to use. She sees an urgent need to create better lanes for bicycle/scooter use and building a contiguous network that expands to all areas of the City completing routes in the core first. New Rapid Transit lines should look to have the latest technology and she sees Japan as a model from which to gain insight. She sees Edmonton's hinterland as key to building a modern City with obtaining better connections to places like Grande Prairie, Red Deer, etc. -- the stronger those connections the more benefit pours to both ends of new routes. I think that she outshines Sohi in two main areas -- 1.much better understanding of technologies and the possibilities therein and 2. a much deeper appreciation of how Council needs to work (more experience) and the personality to achieve consensus in advance of actual Council meetings to speed up decision making. She is extremely smart and knowledgeable. She is eager to set Edmonton in the right direction. She has significant global connections. She is largely apolitical so she doesn't have "left vs right" baggage. Having spoken to all three of the front runners (not including Nickel) she has the moxy, the skill, and the know-how that Edmonton needs. She is articulate and passionate -- the debates coming up will prove that to all who are keenly interested to see Edmonton advance. She is keen to see technology that will improve Edmonton's infrastructure vis-a-vis bricks-and-mortar Retail and Hospitality particularly in nodal points -- the urban core, TODs, and main streets such as Jasper, 124, Alberta Avenue, and Whyte. And, most importantly, she is eager to enlist help from the likes of you and me. There is still more...

Cheryll Watson's 3rd policy announcement- this one on supporting vulnerable Edmontonians.

A few highlights

Review and eliminate bylaws that criminalize poverty-related activities and stop excessive ticketing for those without the means to pay.

Stop tent slashing and/or destroying people’s dwellings, and instead, relocate people with dignity and respect.

Support community and neighbourhood development initiatives by simplifying and accelerating the zoning change process for converting problem properties, building affordable housing, group homes, transitional and shelter housing.

Accelerate the issuing of development permits to more affordable housing projects with:
A commitment to two-week permit response turnarounds.
Expedited permit approvals within two months.
An escalation process for complex issues.

Provide a discount to purchase City land/building assets to community hub service providers and nonprofit organizations applying to build affordable homes.

Match a portion of provincial and federal housing grants with in-kind services or City land.

Support and enable the creation of a community-nominated network of Edmonton leaders that will represent a "collective" partnership with the 60+ community service providers.
They will:
Steward the creation of a vision and strategy for Edmonton’s collective impact initiatives, mobilize and maximize funding, and advance relevant municipal policies;
Ensure that we use our collective resources collaboratively and do not unnecessarily duplicate programs and services;
Engage and activate private industry partnerships;
Ensure quality service delivery that begins with the foundations of empathy, cultural sensitivity, dignity, and respect for those being served.

Last edited:
It occurred to me that instead of me telling everyone about Kim Krushell's ideas and trying to convey her energy that perhaps I should host a Zoom call where Skyrise aficionados could question her one on one directly. All those who would be interested just hit "like" here and I will arrange and PM you with details.

We need at least 15 "sign-ups" before I would orchestrate a Zoom call successively with Kim Krushell, Cheryll Watson, and Amarjeet Sohi. If you want a Nickel call that will be on your own dime (ain't worth one red cent to me!). Anything short of 15 looks like apathy to me.

i like the idea of pre-curated questions but would suggest they be asked and answered prior to the first in the sequence if it’s not going to be a panel so that those “up first” aren’t at a disadvantage by disclosing to the others or allowing the others a chance to rebut or counter that whoever is up first won’t have because of the format.

while i appreciate that there’s not much choice between nickel and the rest of the candidates - those that support him will and those that don’t won’t - i am curious as to you’re excluding michael oshry who is arguably representing the centre ground between the progressive and fiscally conservative camps (not that i think they’re mutually exclusive but many do)?

Speaking of Oshry, EJ article today gives some insight into his focus and approach if mayor.

Some highlights:
- tax freeze and one small tax cut for next 4 years
- not a fiscal hawk, but city needs to tighten belt on spending at this time ("the city is chasing rainbows all over the place" and has become too bloated)
- fast track Rossdale development - focus primarily on business that bring people to riverfront including power plant
- wouldn't neglect social issues - racism, poverty, climate change all important to him
- has endorsement of Coun. Michael Walters, who is working on his campaign

Last edited:
I don't want to jump in here and start another round of heated debate. I am only interested in Krushell, Watson, and Sohi.
fair enough, although you should be a little bit careful about representing it as a "skyrise afficianados" forum or call and not an archited forum or call.

while you are only interested in krushell, watson and sohi, the thread as titled is "municipal elections 2021" (plural) which would include not only all of the mayoral candidates but all of the aldermanic candidates not only in edmonton but in all of the surrounding municipalities in greater edmonton...

^^^^ No, Ken, I am not representing it to any of the political competitors as anything but "interested and focused citizens" -- my positions on this post, otherwise, are fairly clear (I think). Anyway I am not going to even schedule it until we get to 15 in numbers -- right now, not including myself, we are at 8 -- so a little over half way there.

Back