News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

I wonder if these will spur on any more mid density stuff nearby. That industrial/retail/office area inbetween Calgary trail and gateway has slowly been seeing new projects over the last decade. Could be space for a bigger apartment project.

80A7660B-E9A3-4BCC-96A1-A344B3F16D17.png

Looks nice, but it is really too bad they couldn't keep the old pool going until they built this. For an organization that seemingly loves planning, the city seems spectacularly bad at good planning.

I hope this does not turn into another one of their long delayed infrastructure projects. There is this quaint thing called deadlines.
Well it appears the footprint of the new facility is right over top of the current pool. It is unfortunate but I look forward to the new building.

Well it appears the footprint of the new facility is right over top of the current pool. It is unfortunate but I look forward to the new building.
As I am working on a pool renovation now I can see why the old one is being removed. If you let a building maintenance get away from you there is no way to rebuild with a lot of heart ache.

This isn't correct. It is being built south of scona school, in the adjacent field. Essentially 70th ave and 104th Street / Calgary Trail, where the tennis courts currently are.

As I am working on a pool renovation now I can see why the old one is being removed. If you let a building maintenance get away from you there is no way to rebuild with a lot of heart ache.
Well its the most Edmonton thing to do, allow things to fall apart and then tear them down - apparently its not just private property owners, its now a city strategy too.

I realize the facility needed to replaced and hopefully the new one will be better, my criticism is the gap between the two when there is nothing for the community.

Its more a provincial problem. and it goes way back. A lot of differed maintenance gets put off until its so far gone that a full rebuild is all that's left. I have done enough assessments on schools and Hospitals to see that. Private business is a little better at this. But you have to have the right property owner.

A while back I did an assessment on another pool facility in a small town. We went into the crawl space and I stepped into about a foot of water. We found a cracked filter pipe spraying water. Staff didn't know about it. but when they went back to look at the water use they saw a large increase. Needless to say the municipality did the renovations right away.

City of Edmonton is pretty good at getting ahead of some of the major work. They are also looking at ways to reduce operating costs even if it means putting more money into a renovation. A while back the CoE did an energy assessment on all of the city own facilities. (Something like 1000 buildings). They are now prioritizing the least efficient buildings. Those being fire halls and rec centres.

Its more a provincial problem. and it goes way back. A lot of differed maintenance gets put off until its so far gone that a full rebuild is all that's left. I have done enough assessments on schools and Hospitals to see that. Private business is a little better at this. But you have to have the right property owner.

A while back I did an assessment on another pool facility in a small town. We went into the crawl space and I stepped into about a foot of water. We found a cracked filter pipe spraying water. Staff didn't know about it. but when they went back to look at the water use they saw a large increase. Needless to say the municipality did the renovations right away.

City of Edmonton is pretty good at getting ahead of some of the major work. They are also looking at ways to reduce operating costs even if it means putting more money into a renovation. A while back the CoE did an energy assessment on all of the city own facilities. (Something like 1000 buildings). They are now prioritizing the least efficient buildings. Those being fire halls and rec centres.
That may be the case, but I firmly believe responsibility is not something that can shared but not necessarily shifted, so in so far as it is not just a city city shortcoming I could agree.

With this particular pool, there was a quite a public debate at the city/municipal level in the past related to funding and operating it, so that is why I am focused on the city's role here.

On that note, here is another timely article on the topic of residential conversion:

I imagine this is also somewhat relevant to Edmonton as many of our older office buildings were constructed in the same era (1950s to 1980's).

This morning, I just walked by the now almost empty office building where I used to work over a decade ago. It was proposed for conversion a few years ago, but nothing has happened since. It is not that big, but very square and one side has no windows, so it may not be a great candidate for conversion.

Back