News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

Isn't this sort of like the anti-bicycle arguments we hear again and again? "No one bike's there, so we don't need to do anything about the 6-lane car sewer."

We should be building the city that we want, so if we want a place that is walkable and attractive then all roads should be built to that standard.

I stumbled upon this yesterday. 153 Ave and about 100 St.
5110FD4D-F793-42C8-84AC-A1246E094CE3.jpeg
0B3B59B3-0DE5-480F-8A8B-47CDA0081C1C.jpeg

I would say that there is nothing about this that is befitting of a provincial capital's main entry point. A sidewalk would be the bare minimum to add. A no, not all of it is this bad of course, but enough of it is that it needs addressing. It's even less usable in the winter (including the 'nicer' parts between 34 ave and 51st for example, where the grass that is at least usable for able people in the summer becomes muddy snow).

View attachment 416514

I 100% agree the lots should be developed better, but the city doesn't have much control over that. They do have control over the streetscape and can improve it.

Screenshot from: https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.4945...4!1sc2rzctP4BpQcAecfJOUSdg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Calgary Trail going south is actually much nicer than its sister Gateway going north, so sadly you get a better impression of Edmonton going than arriving. I suspect the reasons for this are partly historical and relate to the latter being closer to the rail line and many of the industrial type buildings that were developed in this area. Its not that having sidewalks wouldn't be nice or an improvement, but it sort of would be like putting lipstick on a pig and so likely be a wasted effort at this point

Some of the older buildings particularly in this section of Gateway really need to be redeveloped or replaced. Yes, that is more difficult to do than replacing a sidewalk, but that is the real problem here. A number of years ago some effort was made to improve landscaping by the cty and that helped a bit, as much as it can. The sections of this road with newer or renovated buildings are better.

I might have missed it, but does anyone know what this project currently under construction is? I live very close to it and pass by it frequently, but haven't had a chance to look into it much. It used to be a pre-owned car lot not long ago, pretty thrilled that's gone. Progress is also a decent bit farther along than the Google Maps Street View image, taken only last month. The for lease sign was still up when I passed by a couple days ago as well.

123 St and 118 Ave

1659035647078.png

Didn't see any posts about this yet - new zoning/planning application for the old ATCO site on 105 ave and 112 st. A couple new mixed use buildings here would be a great complement to the improvements on 105th.
The proposed DC1 Provision would allow for a mixed-use, high-density development consisting of multiple buildings and incorporating a mix of uses with the following characteristics:

• Maximum height: 28 metres (approximately 8 storeys), except for one tower up to a height of 90 metres (approximately 26 storeys)
  • Maximum Floor Area Ratio: 5.0-7.0
  • Uses such as multi-unit housing, breweries, wineries and distilleries, child care services, general retail stores, health services, restaurants and special industrial uses. This list of uses is not complete.

The land proposed for the AP Zone would become a future public park.

1659044212619.png

1659044165728.png

^ I can't emphasize how important it is to get the entire strip of no man's land north of downtown developed. It plays a huge role into why our downtown has been underperforming compared to other cities in Canada.

BTW, if any of you haven't yet, go take a walk down Columbia Blvd. (105 Ave.) The changes that have happened in the area of the image above have been incredible! The massing for the new buildings look good.

Calgary Trail going south is actually much nicer than its sister Gateway going north, so sadly you get a better impression of Edmonton going than arriving. I suspect the reasons for this are partly historical and relate to the latter being closer to the rail line and many of the industrial type buildings that were developed in this area. Its not that having sidewalks wouldn't be nice or an improvement, but it sort of would be like putting lipstick on a pig and so likely be a wasted effort at this point

Some of the older buildings particularly in this section of Gateway really need to be redeveloped or replaced. Yes, that is more difficult to do than replacing a sidewalk, but that is the real problem here. A number of years ago some effort was made to improve landscaping by the cty and that helped a bit, as much as it can. The sections of this road with newer or renovated buildings are better.
Yeah, Calgary Trail is a step above for sure. History plays into Gateway absolutely, if I recall correctly it was only made as the main entry after the METS plan to freeway 91st / Mill Creek was cancelled. But, that was in the 60s. There has been plenty of time since to update the stretch. If it were up to me, it would get a road diet to add proper pedestrian infrastructure & streetscaping, and lose 1 lane of traffic to do it. It would be fine. It's a catch-22 a bit too, why would a business try to do better when the City has shown no indication they care to do better for the stretch?

Gateway Blvd is the main thoroughfare from EIA to downtown. It is riddled by a big box purgatory, numerous strip malls, sleazy motels, a grimy industrial area and a hubcap district. Old Strathcona is a highlight but is marred by that damnable hairpin at Sask Drive. I don't think all this makes for good first impressions from Edmonton's business investors, tourists and the like.

Many portions of it is legal non-conforming ie. can remain even if zoning has changed, but cannot expand.

Go off Pangman!!

Reference ID:Job No 442186834-002
Description:Demolition
Plan NB1 Blk 4 Lots 143-145
Applicant:MCCOLMAN & SONS DEMOLITION LTD.
Create Date:7/28/2022 1:33:15 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Reference ID:Job No 442224654-002
Description:Alteration of (an) existing building(s), Exterior Alteration, Demolition
Plan 384TR Lot 12A
Applicant:CWP CONSTRUCTORS LTD
Create Date:7/28/2022 4:37:45 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Back