News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

I'd love to see more photos of former buildings in the Quarters, Dane, it's very interesting (and sad). I know how to access the historic aerial photos but I've never had luck finding photos of buildings themselves. Maybe you could throw them all into a Google Drive folder that could be shared?
Lots to surf through, but most of them can be found here. There's a few elsewhere from around the city, but most come from the Boyle Street area:

Is Select still open? I totally forgot about the existence of this place.

20220409_124108.jpg

I never noticed this before, but the renovations to the Land Titles Building has been completed!

20220409_123644.jpg
20220409_123650.jpg
20220409_123723.jpg
20220409_123755.jpg

Children's Services?

I recall this going to be a tech/innovation lab.

While I can appreciate the need for accessibility considerations, I very much dislike the former main entrance being 'exit only' now and that you have to go around to a somewhat hidden doorway to enter. I get that this is not really a public space, but it's poor design/use/planning. I've noticed this with other buildings where main entrances are not on the main street or avenue frontage; we get blank offices instead:(

Last edited:
^As for Select, I don't believe that it is open. The last time I walked by (three weeks ago) it looked like they were doing renovations or removing things.

It's also promoting Downtown Dining Week from 2016...

I can't really find anything on Select other than a bare-bones website that was last updated in 2017.

I'd guess that our last time there was 3 years ago or so, but it always felt like they were about to close or expand... or something. We could never really understand what was going on there.

I don't much mind the change in brick color -- old to new -- but it would have been nice if they could have at least lined up the mortar joints with the original.

The biggest irritations about this project were the fencing at the alley that led to very challenging access/sightlines and the fact that the contractor didn't refill gravel in the excavation in the alley for the UG services during construction which compromised the integrity of this route for anything by a 4x4.

How folks don't recognize this and be accountable is frustrating for daily users.

Last edited:

Back