News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Stony plain road has just struggled so much. It honestly might be the worst retail street in our city right now? Half of it is torn down or boarded up. The other half is pawn shops,cash money,xxx, liquor....then a few donair spots and like revolution cycle. Its a tough go. So residential development and walkability are badly needed. This seemed like a potential place it could be improved. Instead the parade detracts from both.

* Island Grill enters the chat in shambles *

This is exactly the classic type of conflict of interest that the city administration loves to jump into like a pig in the mud and comes out looking like it. They want to minimize the cost, so the parking is above ground.

They want to maximize the value of the building, so they have to have parking. It does make some sense in a narrow self interested way, but not necessarily most beneficial to the surrounding community.

If this were a private developer, the city would probably be fighting against it, but as with snow removal and building industrial power facilities in the river valley, it is do as we say, don't do as we do to the rest of us.

New city council, but same old problems when it comes to self interest.

0128-a1-front-scaled-e1643378241274.jpg

$80 million event centre proposed in Sherwood Park

0128-a1-front-scaled-e1643378241274.jpg

$80 million event centre proposed in Sherwood Park

Event centre will be nice facility for Sherwood Park. Don't really love that Edmonton Stingers basketball team would potentially be based out of there.

Expo Centre may not be great option where they are currently but at least it was accessible from an LRT stop or public transit versus East of city off Yellowhead Trail where only option will be to drive.

I didn’t want to post until we were done, but it’s taking much longer than expected lol. Here’s our tiny contribution to Edmonton infill :)
View attachment 377287
Very cool. I am assuming this is somewhere in North Central Edmonton? Are you able to share the approximate cost and timeline to develop something like this?

Congrats! Looks awesome. Are you planning to rent? Airbnb? For family?
Original plan was to move into the garage and Airbnb the main house, but it looks like we will be leaving Canada part time. So we will just rent the main house long term rather than Airbnb, and have the garage as our Canada home base.
Very cool. I am assuming this is somewhere in North Central Edmonton? Are you able to share the approximate cost and timeline to develop something like this?
Queen Mary Park. When we went to builders they were telling us 250-300, so we’ve been more or less doing everything ourselves. We were hoping to end up between 100-150! But I think we will end up somewhere 175-200. Ground conditions were shit and we went with screwpiles that ended up needing way more extensions than expected…that was first big expense. But also it was VERY hard to find trades that would take us seriously. I actually found a few different trades just riding around on my bicycle because no one would even bother answering my emails lol. We probably overpaid at every step along the way because everyone was so busy and we would only have one or two options that would even bother getting back to me. Also, even our first quote for lumber started at 12000, then went up to 20000, and when we finally were ready to buy it was at about 16000. More or less from this point on we can do everything ourselves so we will save a bit of money, but it will just be slow because I like working alone lol

Last edited:

Back