7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

New office is open in Bell Tower.

View attachment 355529

The office in Bell Tower is the relocated DBA. I have no idea when they moved.

20211017_184929.jpg

Chateau Lacombe is finally open again after closing in March 2020. I think their reopening was in September.
They just need to get their parkade entrances working again.
Moreover, they still haven't finished their exterior recladding, which should have been finished about 4 years ago!

The retreat to the towers continues, I think in response to increasing social disorder at street level downtown.

The organization that in part is to promote more lively street front retail downtown has admitted defeat?

I think Melcor has plans to re-imagine the podium, so I think it probably has more to do with that than anything

Last edited:
I think Melcor has plans to re-imagine the podium, so I think it probably has more to do with that then anything
I don't know what prompted their move and have no idea what plans Melcor has, or if anything will really actually ever happen there.

One of the things I did like was the DBA was accessible from the street. If such an organization wants to encourage retails businesses to open street front locations, I think it should have got another such location. Goodness knows there is no shortage of such empty space in the area.

Retreating to the tower, gives a message, perhaps unintended of "I give up".

I don't know what prompted their move and have no idea what plans Melcor has, or if anything will really actually ever happen there.

One of the things I did like was the DBA was accessible from the street. If such an organization wants to encourage retails businesses to open street front locations, I think it should have got another such location. Goodness knows there is no shortage of such empty space in the area.

Retreating to the tower, gives a message, perhaps unintended of "I give up".
To the ivory towers they go!

To be honest, I was hoping for a pedway connection to be built between Bell and HSBC. Maybe there'll be a pedway connection between ECC and Stantec once the renovations are underway but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
To be honest, I was hoping for a pedway connection to be built between Bell and HSBC. Maybe there'll be a pedway connection between ECC and Stantec once the renovations are underway but I won't hold my breath.
Do you all think pedways are helpful or hurtful for edmonton? Part of me thinks they contribute to empty streets, but as a former user while at MNP, they sure are nice on cold days! I just wonder how much activity they move inside during non -20 or colder days and even summer months.

Do you all think pedways are helpful or hurtful for edmonton? Part of me thinks they contribute to empty streets, but as a former user while at MNP, they sure are nice on cold days! I just wonder how much activity they move inside during non -20 or colder days and even summer months.
I think you are right, they probably do contribute to less street activity, especially on cold days.

I recall in pre COVID days how busy some of them would be, more so in winter, but I think lots of people just continue to use them in the summer even when it is nice out, perhaps out of habit.

Back