News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

I'm glad you asked!

Meet, 'Oliver Crossing':

View attachment 301829

This building will be taking up the entire Louisiana Purchase/Prive site as well as the Urban Timber building to the north.
Better than what is currently there but, I hope this is just massing and they will come up with larger windows and less bland colours

That is unfortunate. I'm not sure if these buildings have any historical value but they do look like they are some of the last remaining warehouse buildings in the area (correct me if Im wrong). To knock them down and leave the empty lot to the north is quite disappointing. I just dont understand what the city's deal is with knocking down buildings while there are empty lots and gravel parking lots everywhere.
Some things are a bit beyond the city's control and that includes the prices currently being asked and/or the will of the owners to sell/develop land and, as bad as it is, it should remain so, because the moment the Government starts determining what people should do with their properties and for how much they should sell them, is the moment when we'll never see any good development ever again.

I'm glad you asked!

Meet, 'Oliver Crossing':

View attachment 301829

This building will be taking up the entire Louisiana Purchase/Prive site as well as the Urban Timber building to the north.
hmm, residents of Alta vista were saying 14 stories. But I hope this is the final height! I know the people that just purchased the penthouse, and before they bought they asked me if anything was being built across from them. I told the there was nothing that I could find, so it should be a while before anything is built... oops lol

... and the 2021 award for destruction of historic buildings while preserving nearby empty lots looks like it will go to the ... the City of Edmonton! It has been quite a year and its only February.

Our Mayor isn't running again, so perhaps he has already checked out, or this is something he doesn't much care about. Until we get our act together, some of the ridicule we get from other places is well deserved.

I don't hate the design and I love the density it's adding to the area, but it could use some larger windows + commercial bays on the bottom (and an overall less bland design)

This looks great. Does this include the empty lot to the north of Urban Timber with the billboard on it adjacent to 104 ave or are we still knocking down buildings while leaving empty lots....empty?
It always makes me wonder how much of a fortune that the owners of some of these empty lots are demanding if they are to sell.

Well, this lot went for 9.35 million in July 2020 Possibly (according to this link)? That corner lot will be very near an LRT stop and directly across from Grant Mac so I’m sure they’re in no hurry to sell. But that’s what I said about oliver crossing too! Lol

... and the 2021 award for destruction of historic buildings while preserving nearby empty lots looks like it will go to the ... the City of Edmonton! It has been quite a year and its only February.

Our Mayor isn't running again, so perhaps he has already checked out, or this is something he doesn't much care about. Until we get our act together, some of the ridicule we get from other places is well deserved.
Unfortunately, the mayor alone can't save historic buildings from demolition - it would take all of Council to designate a building as a Municipal Historic Resource and, even then, the building's owner would need to be compensated for apparent loss of future value (blame the Provincial Municipal Government Act for that one).

If we want to see more historic buildings saved, changes need to start at the Province.

A good point about provincial rules, but they haven't stopped us from saving other buildings. I think the initiative needs to start at the local level and I don't see the interest recently.

A good point about provincial rules, but they haven't stopped us from saving other buildings. I think the initiative needs to start at the local level and I don't see the interest recently.
There is interest, at least from the residents, in saving a great deal of buildings, but there's only so much that can be done against the sums of money these companies are bringing to the game, without government support, especially if the building doesn't have a particularly strong influence and isn't in a major street (as is the case of the one we're discussing). You can bet that the tower that might go up on 103 street, where the Horne & Pitfield Building is, will suffer with much more backlash and will have much more people (and councilors) rallying behind preservation, considering that the building itself is much more present in people's minds and the location is much more prominent.

Northwest police Station finally set to open. Just a tad late :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After years of delays, northwest Edmonton Police Service campus set to open March 1​

After two years of delays, due in large part to a leaky roof that needed to be replaced, the Edmonton Police Service’s new northwest campus will open next week.
The EPS is already in the process of moving into the facility. The Northwest Division Police Station located on site will open on Monday.
“The new northwest campus gives us more opportunities to improve public and officer safety,” EPS chief Dale McFee said in a news release Friday morning.

“While we can respond more effectively to crime in northwest Edmonton, we can also give our newest officers additional opportunities to train in an integrated community policing environment. By combining our business areas, from training to the frontline, we can create new synergies between staff and have a more comprehensive approach to the service we provide to the public.”
Work on the 183,000-square-foot facility started in the summer of 2016 and the majority of construction was complete by the end of 2018. However, in July 2019, the city revealed water leaks from the building’s roof and mechanical systems were identified through the course of winter 2018-19.
At the time, officials said the roof was leaking in more than 10 places and that EPS staff would not be able to move into the building because the ceiling was dropping and there were water spots on the ceiling tiles.
In May 2020, Edmonton city council approved an additional $4.6 million to replace the roof.
The new building will be home to more than 250 employees. Along with the Northwest Division Police Station, the building will also be home to recruit training, professional development and detainee care.

The EPS said the detainee centre has been designed for increased safety and security. It has an open layout and additional holding cells, which the EPS says will help prevent overcrowding, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The northwest campus, located at 18440 – 127 St., was originally scheduled to open in March 2019. The total budget for the project came in at $119 million, the EPS said.
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7664815/northwest-edmonton-police-campus-opens-march-1/
edmonton-police-nw-campus.jpg

02-26-nwpoliceWR.jpg

Back