News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

MacEwan Library getting some renos:

PERMIT_DATE March 20, 2020
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 10700 - 104 AVENUE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD DOWNTOWN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct Interior Alteration between level 2 and 3 to an existing building (demolish existing convenience stairs in building 6 & 7, fill in stair opening bldg 6, relocate stairs in bldg 7). Construction work included mechanical, sprinkler, electrical and structural scopes. - MacEwan University Library - Phase 1
BUILDING_TYPE Universities (626)
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
FLOOR_AREA 10,914.59
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 1,500,000

In the urban sprawl of Windermere it looks like they will be getting their long needed firehall.
What do you think of the Design? Looks very cold and bland at first look.
1585153553238.png

@BQ-11 Welcome to the Forum!

Looking at the details from the architect's website, it looks pretty good I think.

Apparently it even won an award:

Browing gh3's site, I came across this.

1585155198672.png

1585155237614.png

Too bad I don't think this is going ahead as they just redid that entrance as its bland self.

Browing gh3's site, I came across this.

Too bad I don't think this is going ahead as they just redid that entrance as its bland self.

The entrance work a couple of years back was to upgrade the cooling in the switch room and replace the emergency generator. The work at street level was to run the new outside air ducts and fuel tank venting lines. EFD requires 2 lines separated. One for the reserve and one for the overflow tank. The rest was pretty much left as is.

This would be nice though. not conceivable now that I know how much equipment is hidden in the walls.

^ Very cool entrance that I now miss, thanks to you Mr. Sutherland :p

@BQ-11 At first the design reminded me of a kitchen gadget I have that I don't know how to use properly. On closer inspection, it looks pretty cool, very cool, which is a very good theme for a fire station! I like the Transformer-like sculptures in the patio/ xeriscaping bit but the location looks pretty sterile to me, and I despise the sprawl. I'd rather we go sprawl less.

Speaking of miscellaneous projects, there is a little brick building on 106 Street downtown just south of the Alberta Craft Council that seems to be getting a minor facelift. Could be a very cool storefront. Does anyone know anything about it?

@Didama I think I saw/heard somewhere it was being turned into an office and sales centre for Edgar Developments and The Shift project, but I don't remember where I saw or heard that.

Here's the current DP for the work:

Reference ID: Job No 342872410-002
Description: To change the Use from General Retail Store to Professional, Financial, Office Support Service and to construct exterior and interior alterations (creation of front courtyard and rear deck with pergola)
Plan B2 Blk 6 Lot 184
Applicant: MCKINLEY BURKART ARCHITECTS INC.
Create Date: 10/3/2019 1:36:31 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

ETA The Open Data catalog is where I saw that:

To change the Use from General Retail Store to Professional, Financial, Office Support Service and to construct exterior and interior alterations (creation of front courtyard and rear deck with pergola) "EDGAR OFFICE"

So it's still conjecture, but the pieces fit.

Back