News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Miscellaneous

City Hall fountain redo is coming to a close. It's really shallow, but it's also now barrier-free which is a big positive change.

P9230549.jpg

P9230543.jpgP9230545.jpgP9230549.jpg

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class B
Permit Date Sep 23, 2019
Status Approved
Description of Development To construct a partial demolition and an addition to an existing Mixed Use Commercial Development including parkade and Apartment House building; and to construct interior and exterior alterations (facade improvement). (City Square Tower)
Address 10020 - 103 AVENUE NW

This should be good. If I'm not mistaken 40 years ago or so, there was that ugly green corrugated fiberglass panelling gracing the parking ramp wall. Maybe just a bad dream.

"The parkade structure is wrapped in back lit perforated metal panels and break shape trim pieces. A large digital sign board at the northeast corner defines the project and connects to Ice District signage and activities a block away. "

Norquest is demolishing their smaller building on the southeast corner and replacing it with a quad.

Reference ID: Job No 326837974-001
Description: To demolish Pubic Services Building (south east corner) and construct exterior alterations to site (Exterior Landscaping and Public space work)
Plan 1520896 Blk 7 Lot 103A
Applicant: GEC ARCHITECTURE
Create Date: 7/31/2019 3:01:41 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

As much as I like the addition of open space, especially for students who don't really have any currently, I will kinda miss that small modernist building.

View attachment 197306

C.4 Norquest Greenspace (Development Permit)
Emma Dunn - GEC Architecture

Conflicts: A. Benoit

MOTION: M. Figueira
Motion of non-support

The Committee strongly believes that this project would have benefitted from an informal
presentation.
The Committee suggest that the Applicants consider the following improvements:
● Further delineation/separation between the loading area and the quad;
● Transition along 102 Avenue between 107 Street and 108 Street requires some
consideration with respect to defining pedestrian access and the loading area;
● Concerned with the lack of opportunities for seating/gathering along the proposed
walkways within the quad and recommend further consideration;
● Concerned with the lack of variation within the green space with respect to
pedestrian accessibility to the quad; and
● Suggest that the overall context of the warehouse district, enhanced year round
use of the space and additional details on the activity, use and programming be
further investigated to provide a design which recognizes the diversity and
inclusivity of students and staff.

SECONDED: D. Brown
CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION: M. Figueira, A. Zepp, D. Deshpande, D. Brown,
AGAINST: W. Sims, S. Kaznacheeva, C. Holmes

And they are already back at EDC on October 1:

B.6. 20:00 Norquest Greenspace (Development Permit)
Peter Osborne - GEC Architecture

Last edited:
Heritage restoration in Oliver.

PA070159.jpg
PA070160.jpg

I do have to wonder, though: when the entire structure has been gutted down to the framing, lifted onto a new foundation, new windows, getting new exteriors, new interiors, etc...is it still preservation?

I do have to wonder, though: when the entire structure has been gutted down to the framing, lifted onto a new foundation, new windows, getting new exteriors, new interiors, etc...is it still preservation?
Its the old USS Constitution question; "How much can you replace from something before its a new thing altogether?" For me, personally, I wouldn't even grace the word preservation onto it, given that all its original character has been basically ruined. Its original siding's gone, as are the Georgian windows, and the old brick chimney, too (which I can't even fathom why). Here's a picture from last winter just after it was lifted;
Wood Residence (Renovation).jpg

For anyone interested in its history it was constructed in circa 1915; prior to this no homes existed in the area between 118 and 122 Streets, and Jasper and 104 Avenues due to the Hudson's Bay Company's continued ownership of the land. The first occupant of the home was John H. Wood, an inspector with the Dominion Government, who would live here for just under ten years. A short lived tenant named Sidney R. Ash replaced him. Proprietor of 97 Street based Ash Brothers Jewellers, Sidney would only live here but a year before moving on. Following him would be various others including two women and a provincial government clerk. By 1937 Douglas L. Speer, a clerk for the Federal Post Office Department moved in and would remain in the home until at least 1953.

Last edited:

Back