News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

Saw this work started a couple of weeks ago:

Description: To construct Exterior Alteration Building envelope upgrades consisting of new windows(no change in existing opening), new metal panel cladding, new entrance canopies. "Edmonton Terrace Building"
Permit date: September 2, 2020
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (03) Interior Alterations
Category: Commercial Final
Class:
Issued
Address: 9515 - 107 STREET NW
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Zoning: AJ, A, A, DC1
Value: $3,000,000.00

Well, looks like we are stuck with this building for a while longer!

I mean, something's better than nothing I guess...

I mean, something's better than nothing I guess...
2020-09-08 011.JPG2020-09-08 012.JPG
I hope this turns out alright, gawd I hope so, such a massive footprint on such prim land.

Wonder what this is?

E. UPCOMING APPLICATIONS, CONFLICTS AND REGRETS (October 7, 2020)
Polonia Centrum - Informal - Mikal LePage - Gardner Architecture

I hope/wish it is a redevelopment of this little strip mall on Princess Elizabeth Avenue and 101 Street (based on it being home to several Polish Food markets), but I'm not holding my breath for anything too exciting regardless.

1599669928666.png

Though it might also be this?

A bunch of sizable buildings coming to North Glenora:

Reference ID: Job No 364559440-002
Description: To construct a 36 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building (Building A).
Plan 3624HW Blk 7 Lot 41
Applicant: DER & ASSOCIATES ARCHITECTURE LTD.
Create Date: 6/9/2020 3:51:03 PM
Neighbourhood: NORTH GLENORA

Reference ID: Job No 364569949-002
Description: To construct a 36 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building (Building B).
Plan 3624HW Blk 5 Lot 41
Create Date: 6/9/2020 4:58:35 PM

Reference ID: Job No 364571225-002
Description: To construct a 36 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building (Building C).
Plan 3751HW Blk 1 Lots 16-18,47-49
Create Date: 6/9/2020 5:06:07 PM

Reference ID: Job No 364572485-002
Description: To construct a 42 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building (Building D).
Plan 3751HW Blk 1 Lots 16-18,47-49
Create Date: 6/9/2020 5:24:07 PM

Description: To construct a 36 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing (apartment) building (Building A), and to demolish the existing Multi-unit Housing building.
Permit date: September 10, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Not Available
Address: 13803 - 109 AVENUE NW
Zoning: DC2

^That's a toughie. I think I'd say Gooch is the worse off of the two, but only by a slim margin. It doesn't help that their portfolio is almost exclusively suburban-based developments, while DER has ventured into doing actual larger scale proposals. What I dislike about EFG's designs is that they typically lack any sense of form. More-often-than-not its a standard rectangular box with recesses for inset balconies. The only architectural expression then comes from the claddings, which again, more-often-than-not are cheap EIFS, stonework along the lower two storeys, and maybe if they're spicing things up some laminated timbers thrown here or there.

What personally annoys me about the two is that both are capable of designing decent to genuinely good stuff — a bold stance to take, I know — but they don't. The two firms just seem perfectly content pumping out generic suburban guff. And I'm not naive: I know architecture is dictated by the developer's budget. But when you have Gooch design the Airport Marriott, a genuinely nice design by suburban/exurban hotel standards, and DER designing decent — if not exactly amazing — looking mix-used buildings like the BMO-site Tower, the Emerald, and the Artisan on 109th, it gets really annoying to just see them put zero effort into designing anything even remotely passable. I wouldn't care in the slightest if their typical buildings were located in Ellerslie or Manning, but when they're in the heart of the city I take offence. Like just give a damn, I know you're capable of it.

^^^^ on the contrary, @Grandinite I am very much in favor of some of the DER projects (others are sadly lacking). For example I really quite like the DER project proposed for Jasper Avenue opposite the Edmonton Motors site (Emerald) and I do like the concept for Tower 101 (neither of those are built as yet). Who is worse? Well I have this measuring stick that tells me 85% of any profession are just marching in time. The real standouts are found in the other 15% -- in Edmonton Gene Dub is there in both imagined and completed projects; Douglas Cardinal will soon be added to that list; NEXT Architecture; Group 2; Kennedy (ARC); Hodgson, Schilf, Evans; and some young sprouts that are on the way up (maybe that is a bit more than 15%).

Last edited:
I'm just happy to see movement on finally getting rid of the patio homes ☺

Can't wait for the community consultations to start, now THAT's going to be a process probably on par with Holyrood.

While not a commercial or residential building project, this is an interesting little development in Hawrelak Park. The Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues is building a legacy project to commemorate its 100th anniversary.
Here is a couple renderings and a link to the project.
Community-League-Plaza.jpgEFCL Community League Plaza.png
EFCL 100th Anniversary Project

And a few shots from Thursday night.
IMG_1277.JPGIMG_1279.JPGIMG_1280.JPGIMG_1282.JPG

Back