News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Miscellaneous

I'm aware.

But I'd rather not have to pay $30k out of pocket right away for a bigger building. I know my house will have to have work done on it but if my roof needs to be re-done, it's not going to cost me as much.
Won't cost you as much if you're into DIY.
These days, just getting the exterior of a typical SFH costs between 15-20k, redoing roofing is going for at least that same amount, if it's a small house.

Not everyone is able, or willing, to do stuff like this themselves. I'd honestly sell my house and buy a new one rather than do ANY of this work myself. Build a deck? Finish a basement? Fix anything more than an electric outlet? No thanks. Painting or roofing? A snowball's chance in hell.

Not to mention more mundane inconveniences like snow shoveling, lawn mowing, etc, that honestly kill me a little bit on the inside every time I have to do one of these.

As both of you have pointed out, as long as you do the due diligence properly, you can find a good condo. But same goes for houses. I have a good amount of anecdotes from people who bought houses and had serious issues with electrical, plumbing, etc, and had to spend loads of money and time to fix these, or let it damage their houses to the point in which they had to spend way more money after to fix stuff.

While you have more control, claiming that it's flat our cheaper to own a house is definitely poor logic. Under the same set of circumstances (if both are poor builds or both are good builds) it can actually get way more expensive (again, unless you're willing to do a lot of the work yourself, and that's a personal choice, and involves a certain amount of additional risk, as well).

Won't cost you as much if you're into DIY.
These days, just getting the exterior of a typical SFH costs between 15-20k, redoing roofing is going for at least that same amount, if it's a small house.

Not everyone is able, or willing, to do stuff like this themselves. I'd honestly sell my house and buy a new one rather than do ANY of this work myself. Build a deck? Finish a basement? Fix anything more than an electric outlet? No thanks. Painting or roofing? A snowball's chance in hell.

Not to mention more mundane inconveniences like snow shoveling, lawn mowing, etc, that honestly kill me a little bit on the inside every time I have to do one of these.

As both of you have pointed out, as long as you do the due diligence properly, you can find a good condo. But same goes for houses. I have a good amount of anecdotes from people who bought houses and had serious issues with electrical, plumbing, etc, and had to spend loads of money and time to fix these, or let it damage their houses to the point in which they had to spend way more money after to fix stuff.

While you have more control, claiming that it's flat our cheaper to own a house is definitely poor logic. Under the same set of circumstances (if both are poor builds or both are good builds) it can actually get way more expensive (again, unless you're willing to do a lot of the work yourself, and that's a personal choice, and involves a certain amount of additional risk, as well).
Its not always just routine maintenance like roofing or replacing a furnace. I know two people who had houses that developed serious foundation issues. This was years ago, but even then the cost was way more than $20,000.

They certainly did not have control over this and if they sold the house instead the price would have been reduced significantly accordingly. I know of a third house where the foundation issues were so serious, the basement had ended up entirely being replaced. They ended up selling the old house (to someone who moved it) and building a new one with a new basement on the same lot. That must have ended up costing in the hundreds of thousands.

So, in comparison most condo assessments do not look so bad.

IMG_1788.png

If you follow the users on this it shows what looks like a waste water treatment plant under construction by PCL. 2 construction cranes in the video

Such a large parkade may have made sense when it was an active care hospital, but at this point it might make more sense to sell of a good portion of the land for housing development and use the remaining funds to maintain or enhance the parkade. Oh, I forgot, governments don't think that way about funding costs.

Anyone know whats happening on the top level of the Edmonton General hospital parkade?

View attachment 544467

Someone maybe a year or so ago on here (forget who now) noted how bad shape this parkade + a few others are around the city and what a headache it's going to become. Good to see rehab being done but from what I've seen on any given day at this point a singular level parking lot would be ample.

?? I could Google Eric Cormack - but I'm too mad at the budget

It was a site the AB gov't was supposed to sell. Whole city block in the area formerly unofficially known as Grandin. Located just a little south of the parkade we're talking about above

Just a fun FYI - the former Red Cross building in the Beltline is getting a complete renewal very soon. Unsure if this will include significant envelope work on the outside, but it is a full base building renewal.
Wrong forum brotha, believe you want the Calgary Skyrise

Back