News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.2K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Miscellaneous

@MCXavierL does EDC typically review public street projects like this versus private developments?
They have yes, probably the most recent being 103 Ave between 100 and 101 street.

Their mandate is to “improve urban design through the review of private development applications” - but there are many City of Edmonton projects that are presented/reviewed by EDC.

Speaking of restaurant conversions - the ATB at South Common is being fitted into a new "Moxie's." Strange why they just didn't re-open their Covid shut South Common location.

IMG_1600.png

Looks like PCL has this job as well.

Hi: I am a regular contributor to UT and have been interested in development totals in Canadian central cities for the next year or two. A quick tally of the projects in Edmonton gave me 2 094 units under construction. I have a few questions: there seems to be a lot of development just across the river from downtown so is that considered downtown as well. Also, is there much development going on around the lrt stations? Finally are there emerging suburban city centres in Edmonton similar to what they have in Vancouver and Toronto? And while I am thinking of it, if there is some sort of rail between Calgary and Edmonton, where would the Edmonton central station go?

Hi: I am a regular contributor to UT and have been interested in development totals in Canadian central cities for the next year or two. A quick tally of the projects in Edmonton gave me 2 094 units under construction. I have a few questions: there seems to be a lot of development just across the river from downtown so is that considered downtown as well. Also, is there much development going on around the lrt stations? Finally are there emerging suburban city centres in Edmonton similar to what they have in Vancouver and Toronto? And while I am thinking of it, if there is some sort of rail between Calgary and Edmonton, where would the Edmonton central station go?
Not called downtown south of river but it is urban in character as the historic centre of Strathcona, Alberta.
There are city centres more and less in St Albert, Sherwood Park, various suburban tower clusters and some redevelopment at Century Park and Stadium stations and a few others in the works.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but in terms of regional development there's a new power centre called Woodbend Common on the west side of Leduc (highway 39) that will house an Independent Grocer (Loblaws), Shoppers, McDonald's and Bar Burrito so far.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but in terms of regional development there's a new power centre called Woodbend Common on the west side of Leduc (highway 39) that will house an Independent Grocer (Loblaws), Shoppers, McDonald's and Bar Burrito so far.

Of course we are only worried about eating up agricultural land if we're talking about renewable energy development. Sprawl? Scrape that topsoil and put up a parking lot

Of course we are only worried about eating up agricultural land if we're talking about renewable energy development. Sprawl? Scrape that topsoil and put up a parking lot
I think it makes sense to strategically support sprawl up to the point that the urban fabric reaches the airport. There's economic and psychological benefit to having contiguous urban area around a city's major airport
This looks to be south of the airport so part of the puzzle IMO

Back