News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

Miscellaneous

Disappointing that Tony Roma's has left Westmount. I always found that location convenient. However, it's good that they haven't left the west end completely, just relocated. I was hoping YEG wouldn't lose TR's (as Bryan Hall calls them) entirely the way we lost Red Robin.

Small project in Oliver:

2023-06-14
Commercial Final
To construct 12 Dwellings of Apartment Housing with 22 Bedrooms.
201, 10315 - 120 STREET NW

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 9.07.14 AM.png

Image from Apple Maps​

22 Bedrooms? what a strange thing to see on a BP (or maybe a DP not entirely sure what this is). Is this going to be a rooming house?

Last edited:
Nimbys going hard?
Some, not all.

For those against, most are saying 'we weren't engaged enough' or 'you didn't reach enough people', which are both silly arguments because public engagement occured over at least two years and you can't get feedback from all Edmontonians when barely 40% of them bother to vote in municipal elections.

Some of the tweets and inferences by Lauren rub me the wrong way. Upzoning and allowing for more housing options will harm affordability, but somehow artificially limiting the amount of housing that can be built by only allowing for single family homes won't?

It's a tired argument that is always trotted out in these discussions. It seems to conflate the idea of affordability with the ability to afford a single family home. Yes, the price of land will go up, as will the prices of existing single family homes on that land. But that would also happen to an extent without upzoning. Limiting what can be built in these areas ensures that only those that can afford a single family home can live there.

What housing choice allows is more housing to be built on that land, giving options for different unit sizes and price points. Yes, they will likely be more money per sf of land than currently, but it will still allow for cheaper options overall.

Last edited:
Some of the tweets and inferences by Lauren rub me the wrong way. Upzoning and allowing for more housing options will harm affordability, but somehow artificially limiting the amount of housing that can be built by only allowing for single family homes won't?
I agree + i don't think its feasible to just wait for a bunch of quantitative studies to tell us what we already know to be true that more supply will lower prices. So why not give it a try?

Last edited:

Back