News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

Orange Hub development (156 and Stony Plain) was proposed today at EDC. It’s a 3 storey structure with a “community space” on the main level and parkade on the upper two levels. The structure will be wrapped in chain link fence that is proposed to have public art on it. Artists in San Diego and Tokyo have done beautiful work with this actually as presented at the meeting.

EDC was thoroughly not impressed with chain link as a material choice so it will be interesting to see if they pursue it further. One member said it looked like a correctional facility. Contrary to some of the jokes on here about them being gentle to applicants - they definitely do not hold back their criticism.
Are there any pictures for this?

Not yet available online I don’t think. Picture a 3 storey parkade wrapped in chain link fence. Without the art it’s hard to like.

edit: an example of how art is applied:
oof....and where is this? North of the Orange Hub?

The last thing stony needs rn is more crap. Badly needs transformative projects

oof....and where is this? North of the Orange Hub?

The last thing stony needs rn is more crap. Badly needs transformative projects

Yes north of the hub. Trying to capitalize on parking for the LRT with a low budget.

The EDC truly tore the proposal to shreds with the same sentiment as you about the area. I can’t imagine it proceeding in its current form.

Yes north of the hub. Trying to capitalize on parking for the LRT with a low budget.

The EDC truly tore the proposal to shreds with the same sentiment as you about the area. I can’t imagine it proceeding in its current form.
As an area resident, I am very against this haha. Gladly a NIMBY for crap. Thats a great location and needs a strong proposal. Not parking...

Can't find the thread for this one (it exists somewhere here), but looks like a construction trailer was moved on to this site recently

20210818_102620.jpg

20210818_102623.jpg

Hmmmm…..funny how you mention….it was for sure there last month when I did a walking tour of the area. What project is this again?

The Cidex project is across the street from this.

If I recall this is a Landmark owned site

You’re right I saw planet organic and thought it was that one. My bad. I don’t see any applications and the City’s map still shows that lot as individual lots on that street as if the homes were still there.

I love Concordia's attitude - "we love Edmonton and its heritage."
That is the complete opposite of the U of A and their penchant for demolishing historical buildings.

...even though the U of A just spent a nine-figure amount to not just build a new expansion onto, but also fully rehabilitate from top to bottom, the original Dent Pharm building?

I love Concordia's attitude - "we love Edmonton and its heritage."
That is the complete opposite of the U of A and their penchant for demolishing historical buildings.
To be fair to the U of A, they have seen extremely substantial budget cuts disproportionately large compared to other institutions in Alberta, especially religious ones...

Back