News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Misc. Transportation Projects

He's always so spot on

Land Use Planning + Transit Planning, good or bad, are what come together to make a functional city. Neglecting one in any plan will ultimately lead to failed goals and wasted resources, at least until a change happens.
One of the Top 5 Urban Planning YouTuber's out there... Prove me wrong. Not gonna lie a lot of my free time is spent on YouTube watching urban planning videos. Then again I assume most of us here do too!

This was posted on another forum around Nov 15. Someone on that forum had a brilliant idea to fix the dog's breakfast of roads east of the James MacDonald Bridge

View attachment 366797

Revised - one big traffic circle with accesses to the riverboat and the Muttart LRT stop.

1657817527290.png

Revised - one big traffic circle with accesses to the riverboat and the Muttart LRT stop.

View attachment 413767
Honestly, if it were up to me, I would smite the entire James MacDonald Bridge. I remember one time when I was walking under that bridge on the riverside pathway and it was so dark underneath it and really loud from the cars above, plus the bridge above was W I D E. Anyways, there was a car parked underneath it with people sitting inside it, and as I was walking past, the car suddenly turned on and I thought the people in it were gonna drive up and mug me so I bolted out of there 😭 (maybe I was being dramatic but still 😖). Point is, as I've heard others mention on Skyrise, that bridge and the steep grading on which it ascends to cross the river are out of place in that area (it was built for the Jasper freeway after all) and whenever the bridge expires, they should redo that crossing completely. Here's a street view of the underside that shows how unfriendly that spot is for pedestrians:
ithoughtiwasgonnagetmugged.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, this is how I would reconfigure the roads in the Rossdale and Cloverdale areas:
reconfigureddowntownroadways.jpeg
If we redid the James MacDonald Bridge, I would want to get rid of the grade changes and keep the bridge nice and low, with two lanes per direction (separated by a line or very small median) and walkways on both sides. I've also never been fond of the spaghetti roads after you cross the Low Level Bridge going north.

Last edited:
Whatever they wind up doing, they better add the ability to finally go southbound on Scona Rd from westbound 98th ave. I know it was all originally part of the METS, but the fact they built all of that infrastructure without that is shameful.

Also, this is how I would reconfigure the roads in the Rossdale and Cloverdale areas:
View attachment 413950
If we redid the James MacDonald Bridge, I would want to get rid of the grade changes and keep the bridge nice and low, with two lanes per direction and separated by a line or very small median, with walkways on both sides. I've also never been fond of the spaghetti roads after you cross the Low Level Bridge going north.

I quite like that very much, actually.
I would submit your plans to City Council, starting with Ashley Salvador.

View attachment 413950
If we redid the James MacDonald Bridge, I would want to get rid of the grade changes and keep the bridge nice and low, with two lanes per direction (separated by a line or very small median) and walkways on both sides. I've also never been fond of the spaghetti roads after you cross the Low Level Bridge going north.
Your street plans will look much better if you remove the low level bridge.

City has been doing some planting on 75 street, which is nice to see! Between Argyll and Whyte Ave they've put a bunch of new trees in between the service road & 75 St, plus are adding median trees right on 75th as well! Great to see.
I've seen this, this is awesome, nice to see more greenery.

Back