7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Misc. Transportation Projects

Public invited to learn about Victoria Trail Bridges Rehabilitation
April 6, 2017

Residents are invited to attend a drop-in pre-construction public meeting to learn more about the Victoria Trail Bridges Rehabilitation project. The two bridges affected are Victoria Trail Bridge over Yellowhead Trail and Victoria Trail Bridge over Kennedale Ravine. City staff and project members will be on hand to discuss the rehabilitation activities, timelines, and impacts.

Date: Tuesday, April 11
Time: 4:30 - 8 p.m.

The rehabilitation work on both bridges will ensure safe operation for many more years. Construction will begin this spring with the removal of the median. Starting this summer, half of each bridge will close, leaving one lane open in each direction. Pedestrians and cyclists will also be accommodated on both bridges during construction. Stages two and three will start this summer, and will continue into 2018.

The northbound left-hand turn lane onto the Yellowhead Trail West will be closed during construction. Residents are asked to take either 118th Avenue or Hermitage Road to 50th Street, which then connects back to the Yellowhead Trail West, as the alternate routes during construction.

The staircase leading into the Kennedale Ravine will also be closed for approximately one month as the upper portion of the staircase is reconstructed to align with the widened Shared Use Path. There will also be intermittent trail closures to accommodate work on the bridge.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/VictoriaTrailBridge

For Media Inquiries:
Kristi Bland
Communications Advisor
780-495-9904

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/flmww--c3a3n-5kftw915

Building Edmonton now online
Edmontonians can now access status of City infrastructure projects online

September 8, 2017

The City of Edmonton has publicly launched Building Edmonton, an interactive online map, highlighting the capital infrastructure program being delivered by Integrated Infrastructure Services on behalf of the City of Edmonton.This web-based guide provides residents and businesses with information that was previously only provided to City Council about current infrastructure projects including facility, LRT, open space and transportation projects across the city.

The map provides critical project information, including scope, schedule and budget and will be updated on a quarterly basis.

“Our aim is to improve the access to information we’re providing the public on the many infrastructure project currently being undertaken by the City,” said Adam Laughlin, Deputy City Manager of Integrated Infrastructure Services. “It also provides a snapshot of the many, varied projects happening throughout the City and I hope gives Edmontonians an appreciation of how their City is changing and growing.”

The map is available at www.edmonton.ca/buildingedmonton. It is divided into two parts, standalone projects and composite programs which contain multiple project locations. The Building Edmonton map will enable citizens to click on a project icon to see the following details: project name, asset type, scope, budget, schedule, current project delivery phase and most recent quarterly update.

Projects on this map are at various phases in the delivery of a capital project, identified as concept design, detailed design and build. They are mapped accordingly to provide context for all of the work happening throughout the City.

For more information:
www.edmonton.ca/buildingedmonton

Media contact:
Holly Budd
Communications Manager, Integrated Infrastructure Services
780-221-1189

ACT fund provides $90-million investment in transit in Edmonton
March 7, 2019

The Government of Alberta is investing roughly $90 million in transit in Edmonton through the Alberta Community Transit (ACT) fund. This significant investment will allow many critically important transit projects in Edmonton to proceed, including:

• Upgrades at Stadium LRT Station
  • Preliminary planning & design of a new transit garage
  • Additional purchase of electric buses*
  • Transit priority improvements to access Park & Ride facilities
  • Preliminary planning & design for a new LRT Station at 40 Ave
  • Preliminary planning & design for a new transit centre and Park & Ride facility at 50 Street
  • Upgrading Terwillegar Drive to an expressway

“We’re excited with this investment. It allows ETS to purchase more electric buses, make transit centre improvements and, most importantly, build for the future,” said Eddie Robar, Branch Manager of Edmonton Transit Service (ETS). “The planning and design of a new transit garage is a critical step for ETS to grow our service, and would give us added flexibility and efficiency at other garages as well.”

ACT funding will allow for the planning and design of a new transit garage in the 2019-2022 capital budget cycle, with anticipated construction beginning in the next capital budget cycle. Construction would be completed by 2030.

*ACT funding will accommodate the purchase of up to 28 electric buses, while previous PTIF funding will provide approximately 21 electric buses, for a total up to 50.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/MajorTransitInvestments

@Foolworm Yep, being discussed in this thread:

The High Level extension to me is key and always has been. For such a simple project, in theory, it's taken a long time and a lot of wasted energy to get it done. But then again that's Edmonton for ya. Glacial pace of change in the coldest and snowiest of cities... There's a reason Ice District is a fitting name and not just for its obvious hockey and Northern connotations, lol.. The next step? Getting ETS and ERRS to work together to upgrade the power system and to order some new low-floor trains... To me this line should be operated by ETS 99.9% of the time with the ERRS doing some tourist trips during the summer months using their vintage collection. This has happened in other cities so why not here? To me we should also think about adding streetcars back to almost the entire old network in the long run using BATTERY trams and induction or over-head rapid charging at stations. A lot of newer trains are doing this which cuts down on infrastructure capital costs and removes unsightly power-lines from the equation. Although that's a side topic I'd further love to discuss as well...

Just think of where we could have streetcars in Alberta... Lethbridge, Calgary, Red Deer, Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Edmonton for starters.. Ideally Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Medicine Hat would also be great candidates for these types of mass transit solutions... They could help bring life into these moribund downtowns and give Albertans new urban living options...

A great company out of Coventry is developing battery electric "very light rail" trams that are simple to operate and affordable to build. Coventry Very Light Rail

This is a bit of an oldie, but Fort Sask Transit opened a new park and ride in May 2018. It has 300 parking stalls plus bike parking, a heated shelter, and solar panels. Recycled asphalt was used in its construction.
1280px-Fort_Saskatchewan_Park_and_Ride.jpg20200406_140656.jpg

Last edited:
"An online public event will be held on April 14, 2021 at 7pm to provide information on the scope of [the Edmonton-Strathcona County footbridge]. We will be seeking information on how the open space sites on each side of the river are used, how each site may be improved and what you would like to experience on the proposed footbridge.

Following the online event, a recording of the presentation will be posted and an online survey will be available."

"An online public event will be held on April 14, 2021 at 7pm to provide information on the scope of [the Edmonton-Strathcona County footbridge]. We will be seeking information on how the open space sites on each side of the river are used, how each site may be improved and what you would like to experience on the proposed footbridge.

Following the online event, a recording of the presentation will be posted and an online survey will be available."

^ That looks great so far. I think their plan for the open space sites makes sense. This will be a well-used link for the city/county for sure.

^ That looks great so far. I think their plan for the open space sites makes sense. This will be a well-used link for the city/county for sure.
I agree completely. I love that they are thinking about planting some vegitation like native flowers; pollinators would love that! I hope that Sturgeon County and Edmonton can work together on a trail along the north bank of the river. Between this bridge and the Highway 15 bridge between Fort Sask and Sturgeon (which has an underslung pedestrian bridge), we have the potential for an extensive trail loop for regional residents and tourists to enjoy!

I agree completely. I love that they are thinking about planting some vegitation like native flowers; pollinators would love that! I hope that Sturgeon County and Edmonton can work together on a trail along the north bank of the river. Between this bridge and the Highway 15 bridge between Fort Sask and Sturgeon (which has an underslung pedestrian bridge), we have the potential for an extensive trail loop for regional residents and tourists to enjoy!

The quarry paved bike path is outstanding, IMO the best of it's kind in Edmonton With this bridge we will be able to safely access the nature trail that goes all the way to Fort SK on the other side of the river. The nature trail is gravel and although I love it, it may be a good idea to pave it as some point so it becomes more accessible to all users. All we would need is some comprehensive mapping, nice water fountains and bathrooms along the way and restaurants with patios at each end to make it a nice destination. Quebec, Ontario and BC are doing this all over the place.

Back