News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

McDougall Hill Pedestrian Bridge

City of Edmonton – $529,875

Reinvent an outdoor space by creating a pedestrian-friendly area on MacDonald Drive that connects the Edmonton Downtown area to the city’s river valley.

City of Edmonton – $529,875

Reinvent an outdoor space by creating a pedestrian-friendly area on MacDonald Drive that connects the Edmonton Downtown area to the city’s river valley.
Does anyone know what this is?

City of Edmonton – $750,000

"Improve pedestrian areas in two key downtown locations in the Ice District to improve pedestrian safety and provide spaces that support sidewalk patios for local businesses."

Ice District is new so just a bit puzzled on this.

The application (from my memory) was to improve the 'public/private' spaces in the square ie. benches, lights, trees, fireplace etc.

It was going to be value engineered back to a pretty standard base spec at one point, but then was being considered for 'green and walkable' under the CRL (which was not going to be that politically palatable) and so then this opportunity came up;) touches nose.

Last edited:

1656542128680.png

1656542188099.png

1656542230245.png

I wonder if the plans we worked on to illuminate the trees along the Drive there will done in parallel with this. There was also supposed to be a large I HEART YEG sign to up our Instagram numbers.

This is a brilliant bridge design -- the structural engineer who conceived this warrants an ovation. And it is not going to be easy to build. There will need to be a double-arced post-tensioned ring around both perimeters (inner and outer) to create a stable platform that can then be cable-stay suspended. It is going to have to be braced in place while each portion is post-tensioned during construction. A to-scale model will also have to be built to have wind-tunnel tests verify that this bridge will not be subject to "galloping" wave-forms in a high-wind event. My main hope is that the City doesn't "chicken out" through the process of what will prove to be a fairly expensive design and construction process. This will become a prominent Edmonton landmark and that should remain the goal!

Back