MacEwan University School of Business | ?m | ?s | MacEwan University

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I go to MacEwan and love that it is downtown. Sometimes during my breaks, I walk around downtown since it's pretty nice. Being in the business program, we do need a new building since there isn't a lot of space to sit down and study outside of the library. Usually, when I study during my breaks, I walk to the new buildings (SAMU and the Arts building) since there is more space and it's nicer. It isn't a long walk, less than five minutes, but it would be nice to have a new building and not travel as much.

I won't experience the new building since I will graduate by then, but I am excited for the students who will use it in 2026. I know that everyone loves to study and hangout in the new buildings that MacEwan built in the last couple of years.
I went to the U of A, I started just before the business building there was built. I recall it was fantastic to have our own new building there then with almost everything in one place and this new building will be a great thing for MacEwan too.

I went to the U of A, I started just before the business building there was built. I recall it was fantastic to have our own new building there then with almost everything in one place and this new building will be a great thing for MacEwan too.
An aside concerning the U of A Business building ... my dad taught in the Arts building at the time the new business building was going in. He led the Language Lab, and there was a proposal to put a skywalk between the two buildings.

Most people in the Arts building were horrified at the idea, mostly that it would ruin the Arts building's historic exterior. He wrote many a letter opposing the proposal to the university president. And in more than one, he included photocopies of cockroaches he and his staff caught in the basement to warn "If you put up a bridge, these will end up in your nice new building." :)

An aside concerning the U of A Business building ... my dad taught in the Arts building at the time the new business building was going in. He led the Language Lab, and there was a proposal to put a skywalk between the two buildings.

Most people in the Arts building were horrified at the idea, mostly that it would ruin the Arts building's historic exterior. He wrote many a letter opposing the proposal to the university president. And in more than one, he included photocopies of cockroaches he and his staff caught in the basement to warn "If you put up a bridge, these will end up in your nice new building." :)
While I appreciated some of the U of A pedways, especially on the colder days, that proposed skywalk would have been terrible. The university administrators then did not always have good ideas, fortunately he and perhaps the cockroaches made them come to their senses - great story!

As someone who really likes older buildings (we have so few in Edmonton), the Arts building was and is one I especially like. I had a few classes there too, but never met those insects. :)

Met a Macewan employee today headmanning this project. They intended to start construction in 2023 and open for students in 2027. When Jason Kenney was Premier, they felt confident in their lobbying and meetings that the building was going to get funded. Now with Premier Smith, they are much less confident, which may lead to a delay. We shall see.

Met a Macewan employee today headmanning this project. They intended to start construction in 2023 and open for students in 2027. When Jason Kenney was Premier, they felt confident in their lobbying and meetings that the building was going to get funded. Now with Premier Smith, they are much less confident, which may lead to a delay. We shall see.
You wouldn't happen to be in a certain policy studies master's cohort, would you? Because I heard a very similar thing today from a Macewan employee too haha

Knowing her (our version of Trump) - she'll put it in some southern boondock town where the population is 100% uneducated, blue collar, anti vac'er types......the only demographic she seems to be appeasing..

Well even then, they've been messing with Athabasca University, and trying to force staff of an online University to move to Athabasca, which makes a lot of sense to move several hundred people and their families to a community of 1500 people just so they can continue to do the job that they've successfully been doing online for years... so even if you're rural or in a small town you're not safe. Pretty sure she hates education in general, so it won't get better under her.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9180193/athabasca-university-board-shakeup-nicolaides/

*Edited to correct my statement.

Last edited:
Athabasca University will remain online -- the proposal is only to locate more staff and faculty to the town of Athabasca.

^mostly online, for there are many courses that require some onsite participation.

I'd be curious to know where they expect all of these people to live given the lack of housing there (at least in the short-term).

I had the pleasure of updating their labs and finishing up their ARC building; loved my time in that community. It's a shame they didn't have a more developed little waterfront for day trips from Edmonton and to help support the push to live there.

Reference ID: Job No 451173990-002
Description: To construct a Public Education Service building (MacEwan University School of business is a 29,900m2 eight storey building). Reference development pre-application meeting #430374666-001.
Plan 2121375 Blk 20 Lot 102
Applicant: GEC ARCHITECTURE
Create Date: 10/18/2022 1:26:35 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Back