News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

LRT Safety

Yes, one day earlier this week I was using a stair well I often use and there was a large group loitering there, but that was unusual lately and I hadn't seen it for a while. The next time I went through the same stair well it was fine.

I've been taking the LRT once or twice every weekday for the past month, and it's definitely improved in terms of how comfortable I feel on the train and in the stations.

We'll see where we're at when the cold weather returns in the fall. The system felt a bit safer to me the last couple times I used it, but there are still some station entrances downtown that I don't want to go anywhere near

Last edited:
Still a heavy policing presence at times, didn't see anything on my ride in from Clareview, not at churchill, but found 2 police cars parked at Bonnie Doon on the pathway...

IMG_3047.jpeg
Just when we thought it was getting better. They keep announcing that fares are checked regularly but I haven’t seen anyone in over a year.

No I didn’t. Sometimes I wonder what is the point. In the morning I got off at Century Park and witnessed an individual with no shoes and only a sweater and pants get on in front of two security guards and the driver. Nothing gets done.

No I didn’t. Sometimes I wonder what is the point. In the morning I got off at Century Park and witnessed an individual with no shoes and only a sweater and pants get on in front of two security guards and the driver. Nothing gets done.
The quality of security guards is pretty disappointing. I still stand by my suggestion last year that they should deploy the military into transit stations. 0 tolerance and watch how those who actually pay and don’t vandalize crap end up being the only riders left. And then maybe there won’t be a shortfall.

😦 Uhh no thanks! Peace officers would work, let's not cosplay as a military junta.
I’ve learnt in life that some people don’t get a soft message. Some people need to learn by visuals and zero tolerance on certain things. I agree with thommyjo. I appreciate seeing the military type guys at certain airports and tourist attractions around the world

I've been openly in favour of installing the new BART style impenetrable fare gates all all elevated, underground, and as many other stations as possible.

They'd even work on the Valley Line for WEM, Mis, Davies, as you'd be stuck unless you paid there or rode to another stop. This would ease the burden on underground enforcement, increase revenue like what happened in Vancouver after they installed their bad fare gates

The wishes for enforcement come from a good place, but for some reason nobody ever checks for fares, especially after big events where they'd actually be able to find those who could pay the fines.

Texting Transit Watch helps. They can't be everywhere all the time but they can dispatch the closest available security or peace officers.
I always get a reply back. If there are kids walking by this crap or riding on the train, tell them that in the text. Elementary/Jr High kids aren't gonna advocate for themselves.

Everyone is welcome to ride ETS if they pay, or get an ARC card through assistance. Nobody is welcome to smoke in shelters, use drugs openly, steal free rides, threaten violence, etc.

Text ETS Transit Watch (780) 442-4900.

I’ve learnt in life that some people don’t get a soft message. Some people need to learn by visuals and zero tolerance on certain things. I agree with thommyjo. I appreciate seeing the military type guys at certain airports and tourist attractions around the world
Sure, but shouldn't we go the 'not crazy' approach and just increase peace officer presence (of which there is currently a negligible amount) on trains and stations? Typically, liberal democracies don't send in the armed forces to enforce bylaws.

Sure, but shouldn't we go the 'not crazy' approach and just increase peace officer presence (of which there is currently a negligible amount) on trains and stations? Typically, liberal democracies don't send in the armed forces to enforce bylaws.
The military is more ‘not crazy’ than whatever the hell we allow to happen in our stations now. I dunno, I’ve been to lots of places in Europe, such as Italy, that happily display their riffles. We need a reset and a clear message sent as to what we allow and don’t allow on public transit

Back